FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
I have been doing research using this forum and it seems that I'm doing it all wrong
My plants seem happy enough but I'm concerned about root rot in their current pots.

They are in tiny little 2.3 inch pots. And I made them floaties and put them in a pool. Picture attached.

My thought was to plant multiple plants in a gallon or half gallon sized pot instead. And then either put that in the pool, but only with water half way up the pot or leave it on a table in my yard with a dish and a little bit of water. It's really hot here so I do need to leave it sit in some water or I'll come home to a dry pot one day
IMG_20220519_194656309.jpg
IMG_20220519_194656309.jpg (5.34 MiB) Viewed 1321 times
By Panman
That's a neat idea. A good rule of thumb for flytraps is to assume that their roots will be 6 inches long and they don't like the roots to be sitting in water. That means, if you have 6 to 7 inches of medium between the waterline and the surface of the pot, you should be fine. Of course, you may need to grow them in shorter pots. In that case, it is important to keep the water level low and to allow the tray to dry out before rewatering.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Panman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm That's a neat idea. A good rule of thumb for flytraps is to assume that their roots will be 6 inches long and they don't like the roots to be sitting in water. That means, if you have 6 to 7 inches of medium between the waterline and the surface of the pot, you should be fine. Of course, you may need to grow them in shorter pots. In that case, it is important to keep the water level low and to allow the tray to dry out before rewatering.
Are my sarrs okay to be like this or do I need a new plan for them as well?
By thepitchergrower
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:10 pm
Are my sarrs okay to be like this or do I need a new plan for them as well?
Depends on species/hybrid. Leuco/oreos may not want to be stood in water during certain parts of the year.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Holy crap talk about a Carnivorous Plant pool party!

But you're right, this is overkill for watering carnivorous plants and the half gallon pot setup sounds a lot better. Just giving some distance between the water level and the crown of the plant would be a vast improvement. I wouldn't go halfway up the pot, but due to the heat you could get away with a higher water level.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!