FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
Which Full spectrum LED grow light (Root Farm brand) do you have?
How high is it above the plant?
What is the temperature at the plants position?
What is your photoperiod?

It looks like the plant went from low light that it was accustomed to to very high light which sent it into a sulk and lightburned it.
I have a generic response when a Sundew throws a major hissy fit like this, regardless of cause.
1) Unpot, Rinse the plant and roots well, and Repot into a peatmoss/perlite mix.(2:1 - 1:1)(I've had better outcomes when I use peatmoss instead of sphagnum moss mixes)
2) Bag or dome the plant for 2 - 4 weeks until it is showing good healthy new growth and it is producing lots of dew. (This reduces transpiration moisture loss from the leaves and reduces stress on the plant until its roots establish good intimate contact with the new medium.)
3) Bottom water by tray. Water level should be just below roots. (When repotting, I leave the roots one inch above the bottom of the pot)(Pour in one inch or less of Distilled, RO, or Rain, water. Let water drop to a quarter inch before refilling.)(TDS under 50ppm, TDS meters are an inexpensive necessity.)
4) I set the lighting photoperiod to match its origin area (for inside plants) or my local area (for outdoor-bound plants) I use astronomical light switch timers or Raspberry Pi s to simulate sunrise and sunset times for the desired area. For a Cape Sundew, I'd set it for a latitude of 33.5797° (N) and my local longitude. This gives it the seasonal variations it expects to see and helps encourage flowering.
5) I set the lighting brightness to match outdoor brightness under open shade. (about 25% full sunlight brightness)
6) I grab a coffee and a book and come back in 4 weeks to check on it.
7) Use a mist bottle for spraying Nepenthes and a misbehaving, barking, growling, Maltese dog, not Drosera. :)

As always, this is just my 02¢ worth.
Mike
By Bill Phoenix
maybe cutting it back? mine looked like that, except the ends were all crispy. i cut off the top, put the top in peat, and it grew. the roots of the 1st one grew a sundew forest :)
right now, the clone has a slower stalk, and the OG has 3.

this is an older photo, the flowers on the clone are drying up, and the 3 other stalks are blooming currently
Attachments:
OG + Clone
OG + Clone
sunders 2.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 1076 times
OG Plant
OG Plant
sunder forest.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 1076 times
By specialkayme
Shadowtski wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 pm(I've had better outcomes when I use peatmoss instead of sphagnum moss mixes)
Same. Although I've often gotten flack on this forum for saying as much.
Shadowtski wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 pm 6) I grab a coffee and a book and come back in 4 weeks to check on it.
That must be some book to last you 4 weeks :)
By Panman
specialkayme wrote:Same. Although I've often gotten flack on this forum for saying as much.
Some plants do better in peat others do better in sphagnum. Even with in a genus, it will vary from species to species.
By specialkayme
Panman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm Some plants do better in peat others do better in sphagnum. Even with in a genus, it will vary from species to species.
Yeah, I was specifically referring to Drosera Capensis, which was the topic of this thread. I've found Droisera Capensis tends to do better in a peat mix than in a sphagnum mix.

Most other plants I grow do better in a sphagnum heavy mix.
By thepitchergrower
The capes I put into a 50/50 sand/peat mix haven't done well. Apparently, they do better in pure peat. :roll: Wish I had known that earlier. Then I wouldn't have wasted money on giving them silica sand...
By specialkayme
Shadowtski wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:58 pm I'm currently reading Razzmatazz by Christopher Moore.
Personally just started Can't Hurt Me https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-Mas ... 110&sr=1-1 last night. I typically like to steer closer to the non-fiction section than the fiction section.

Nothing quite like a good book that draws you in . . . then like a crack addict you try and spend the next 3 months getting that same feeling . . .
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!