FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
My nepenthes are outside. They hang so high that I need to use a ladder to water them. The woman next door feeds all the homeless cats in the neighborhood. Somehow the damn cats can still reach them. How do I handle the cats?
By StrongManPeen
If they are hanging so high that you need a ladder to reach them, then it's probably too high for the cats to jump directly on to. Is there anything nearby that the cats could be climbing up? They might just be parkouring their way to your nepenthes.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
That one plant boi wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:52 pm ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I am not opposed to doing this. Problem is I can't catch it lol
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
StrongManPeen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:54 pm If they are hanging so high that you need a ladder to reach them, then it's probably too high for the cats to jump directly on to. Is there anything nearby that the cats could be climbing up? They might just be parkouring their way to your nepenthes.
I literally saw the cat jumping for it as I was on my way to wash dishes in the kitchen.

Of course I chased it off

But the next morning when I woke up I had a plant on the ground.

Granted Im only 5'1" tall but still ....
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
elaineo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:52 pm What are the cats doing in your yard? Razor barbed wire to keep them out
If they are jumping high enough to hit my plants that would have the barbed wire would have to be many layers high.

I'm also not opposed to this or to electric fences however either option is against town ordinance
By optique
Cats are honestly going to be hard to deal with. I think your best bet would be a cage of some kind for your plants like Panman uses or a yard dog that dislikes cats.

years ago i had bird issues and made this out of a scrap 2x4 and the netting that stepping stones are wrapped in at lowes
By elaineo
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 pm
elaineo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:52 pm What are the cats doing in your yard? Razor barbed wire to keep them out
If they are jumping high enough to hit my plants that would have the barbed wire would have to be many layers high.

I'm also not opposed to this or to electric fences however either option is against town ordinance
I meant for the entryway, so they can’t get into the yard at all. You can also use motion-activated sprinklers, or ammonia soaked rags. I had to battle a feral cat colony at my old place, so I feel your pain :/
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!