FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ani
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on watering my VFT that's in sphagnum. I have been using the water tray method the past week. It's just a 3 inch pot and I sit it in a tray with maybe 1/2 an inch or a bit less of water, wait for all the water to be absorbed, and then refill. This ends up being once a day because the water seems to get absorbed pretty fast.

Is this too much?

I do try and test the feel of the moss with my finger to make sure it is damp/wet and not completely water logged, but I was wondering if I should wait for it to dry a little more in between before I re-add the water to the tray?

I have noticed more algae/green bits appear on the top since I got the plant. Is this due to over watering?

Any advice would be appreciated! Many thanks!
By optique
No treys in LFSM just pour water in the top and let it run out the bottom. Touch the moss every day when it feels crusty water it. A lot of factors in how often you will need to water humidity, temperature amount of moss and also how much the plant uses.

This winter i identified my N. Ventricosa as the plant that needed the most water and used it to determine when i need to water all of them.
By WONE
Mine are sitting in water almost at all times. I try to keep the water level a few inches below the rhizome. However, I have transitioned most of my plants to 5+ in. Deep pots.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!