FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
uh..
how do i say this
so i left 3 pots of venus flytraps outside on a rooftop garden and left it there was untouched for almost a month. and yesterday (its 1:02am rn) i went to check up on my vfts.
i found 2 plants dead, another one which possibly is suffering from root rot, and a pot full of algae. so i concluded to not leave vfts out in the rain. now i have 1vft left alive.
any tips ( or pictures) on where/how to plant vfts outside without it literally drowning in rain water?
(i cant sleep and i need to stop worrying about it)
any suggestions?
i need to put up and gather info from you guys so i can finally keep a single plant alive.
(i cant get pictures rn im gonna go sleep)
By Wutihbe
Just a side note:
i’ve read alot of notes about giving vfts bright sunlight but i get mixed answers like:
“give it indirect sunlight. best to put it outside”
or
“give it direct sunlight. best to give it shelter”
so im very confused rn :?
By optique
I grow mine outside in full sun. My pot is full of half peat half perlite. I have a water trey under the pot, if it rains the trey runs over so the water can only be so deep.
By Intheswamp
@Wutihbe, you did not see your plants for an entire month? Were the dead ones sitting in water as the one with possible root rot was sitting?

The pots that they grow in need drain holes. You can use a short tray or saucer under the pot but the depth of tray or saucer. A 6-inch/15cm tall pot would probably call for something like a 1-inch/2.5cm tray or saucer beneath it. A small pot would need a much shorter saucer and likewise a much taller pot could probably handle a more deep saucer.

What size pots are you using and what does your growing medium consist of?
By Wutihbe
Intheswamp wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 pm @Wutihbe, you did not see your plants for an entire month? Were the dead ones sitting in water as the one with possible root rot was sitting?
the dead ones were in a separate pot.
i just did not repot them properly and they got
uprooted or something by the rain
Intheswamp wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 pm The pots that they grow in need drain holes. You can use a short tray or saucer under the pot but the depth of tray or saucer. A 6-inch/15cm tall pot would probably call for something like a 1-inch/2.5cm tray or saucer beneath it. A small pot would need a much shorter saucer and likewise a much taller pot could probably handle a more deep saucer.

What size pots are you using and what does your growing medium consist of?
i’d say the pots im using are around 10+ cm with around a 2-3cm saucer?
and the growing medium is just pure sphagnum moss

also all the pots had drain holes
By Wutihbe
optique wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:25 pm I grow mine outside in full sun. My pot is full of half peat half perlite. I have a water trey under the pot, if it rains the trey runs over so the water can only be so deep.
i really just left my vft in a pot and a saucer and placed them on a sunny area on the rooftop garden.
By Intheswamp
I'm a novice with carnivorous plants but I think you need something to help the moss drain...coarse quartz sand or perlite will do. The moss to perlite ratio is usally one part peat moss to one part perlite, I think the same goes for peat moss and coarse sand. You can test sand by putting some in a small cup and pouring a small amount of vinegar on it...if it foams it is not safe to use....if it doesn't foam it should be safe. VFTs like it moist but not soggy. The 3cm saucer will hold a good water reserve but it might be too much...the depth of the saucer is around 25% of the pot depth. Maybe use a shallower saucer....a saucer for a tea cup, a lid off of a wide jar...something that will be between 1/4 to 1/2 as deep as what you are using.
By Wutihbe
optique wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:58 am
Wutihbe wrote:actually to avoid confusion just send a picture of how you plant your vfts. that might help
ImageImage
so basically you leave it outside but you monitor it.
cool im gonna check on my vft everytime i leave my house
By davinstewart
If you're leaving your plants to fend for themselves for a month then you need a much bigger container and ideally an automated watering system of some kind. The greater (and deeper) the soil mass, the longer the plant can go without needing your attention. You should be looking at half whiskey barrel sized containers at least. You can further reduce maintenance by ensuring the plant sits in a tall saucer to act as a water reservoir. Or just make sure the lowest drainage hole is a few inches above the bottom of the pot so water can collect there.

Personally, I grow my plants in ~1-5 gallon containers sitting in ~4" tall saucers to collect water in full sun without any cover. I wish I had more sun honestly.

I think the best case scenario would be to build an ebb and flow watering table so the plants get reliable, thorough moisture every day but are not sitting in stagnant water.
Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!