FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ani
Hello!

I was wondering if I am causing my little guy any undue stress by moving him from one window to another during the day. In the morning, the kitchen window has the most sun, so I like to sit him there. Then from the afternoon, the lounge window has the better soon, so I move him there.
In between, if I notice his tray is empty, I'll bring him back into the kitchen to refill with distilled water.

Is the act of just moving him around a few times a day upsetting the little dude? It's just that I don't have the one window to give him good sun all day for after the adaptation process, and I don't have the option to put him outside.

Thanks for any advice!
By Intheswamp
I'm a rank newbie so take my thoughts with a grain of salt (or perlite, if you wish<g>). I've heard that it's better not to move them, but receiving more sunlight may(?) offset issues caused by moving it. More light is usually always good.

A thought I have is... If you keep the plant oriented in the same cardinal direction, for example a marked point on the pot always faces "south" no matter where it is placed, would moving the plant 30' make a difference to the plant? The plant would still be following the sun the same as it was from it's previous location.
Ani liked this
By ChefDean
In this case, it's not really a bad thing as long as the plant doesn't have higher light needs than a windowsill can provide. Glass filters light, so some plants, Flytraps for example, will actually receive better light outside in a spot that gets a few hours of direct sunlight, then indirect light the rest of the day than it will on the sunniest of windowsills.
If the plant is a good windowsill plant, and you move it from windowsill to windowsill, all you're doing is creating unnecessary work for yourself. You're not significantly changing the growing conditions, so the plant doesn't have to continuously attempt to adapt.
Ani, Intheswamp liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!