FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aidenwb
I received a small northiana with a larger order and placed it in a high-humidity intermediate setup to quarantine with some small veitchii and veitchii x while I researched the plant a bit more since it was unexpected. From what I’ve found it’s a lowlander that can be quite finicky and difficult to grow so I was just looking for some advice from someone more experienced with this plant. I have a warm setup (80-85 f all the time for some juvenile bicals) that I can move it into but I’m concerned about setting the plant back (from what I’ve read they hate changes in conditions) but I’ve been hesitant to move it as it’s seemingly thriving where it is, at temps from 72-75 and 80% humidity. It’s been there for about a month and put out 3 new leaves, all of which are pitchering. So would it be best to leave where it seems to be happy? Or move to the lowland setup with warmer temps since that’s more in line with what they typically want. It’s a BE3357 clone if that makes a difference.
By tzestan
While there are reports that northiana being finicky, I am not sure whether it could be specific to a particular clone. I have a few northiana for many years. And among local growers, other than irregular pitchering, no one complains that this species is more finicky than other common species. There is only one locality where northiana came from. Shouldn't be significant growing condition preference variations. Our condition is around 27-32C, RH always above 60%.

In your case, I think as long as the plant is happy, there is no rush to move it around.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!