FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello!
I got this cactus the other day, which looks like some sort of barrel cactus to me. I used a few plant identification apps, and they all point toward the golden barrel cactus, but I'm not too sure since, when I look up Golden barrels, they tend to have firmer spines that are really pointy and don't point up toward the crown. But with this little guy, his spines aren't very sharp, and they do point upward toward the crown.
Anybody know what it is?Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By thepitchergrower
Post that picture on cactiguide. https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Honestly, it doesn't look like Echinocactus Grusonii (golden barrel) to me.
By Sundews69
Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?
By That one plant boi
Sundews69 wrote:Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?
Sorry for the late reply!

I got it at a small festival in the Tampa midtown they had going on a few weeks ago. There was a succulent stand with lots of different types of things, and that's where I got it. Still haven't figured out what it is yet, but it's certainly not a golden barrel. I got one about a week ago and they're totally different looking.

By Sundews69
That one plant boi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm
Sundews69 wrote:Where did you get that cactus? I really like it! Did you ever figure out what species it really is?

I got it at a small festival in the Tampa midtown they had going on a few weeks ago. There was a succulent stand with lots of different types of things, and that's where I got it. Still haven't figured out what it is yet, but it's certainly not a golden barrel. I got one about a week ago and they're totally different looking.

Hmmm, ok. I guess I won't be able to get one myself. Keep us updated if you figure it out!
By That one plant boi
Sundews69 wrote:
That one plant boi wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:20 pm

Hmmm, ok. I guess I won't be able to get one myself. Keep us updated if you figure it out!
Will do!

Sundews69 liked this

Hi! My name is Sharmagne and I’m new here. I[…]

Tissue culture beginnings

Cultures tend to easily contaminate in transit - […]

Can leave them under the hood to cool a bit, usua[…]

looks pretty good, but i have a suggestion why you[…]

I love the idea of this! Id like to have D. Capill[…]

Is this still up to date? Would like to buy some c[…]

Both should have some time to adjust.

Holy bug pile Batman!

It's really a "plant-eat-bug-world out there&[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!