FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By VelvetTooth
Are there any specific types that do well in 40-50 humidity indoors?
By Nepenthes0260
Lots of neps can tolerate lower humidity... sanguinea, xVentrata, xGaya, and xBriggsiana are a few good beginner varieties.
VelvetTooth liked this
By NightRaider
Miranda is another easy one along with most ventricosa hybrids generally (re: x Briggsiana). Misting isn't important with the common hybrids in my experience (and may not be at all tbh but I can't speak directly from experience on that specifically); my Gaya and Miranda were on a rack all winter at probably 50-60% humidity I'd estimate and were completely ignored besides watering and both more than doubled in size in that time.
By NightRaider
I've done as little as 3-4 hours of direct sun and they would've been fine with at least some amount less. Also have a couple highlands doing decently well despite getting less than 100ppfd if Spider Farmer's charts are to be believed, so a moderately sunny windowsill would probably be sufficient.
By VelvetTooth
You keep them outdoors? Or by direct sunlight did you just mean a very sunny windowsill for 3-4 hrs?
By NightRaider
Outdoors under a porch from ~May-September, indoors when temps at night are below 50. The only direct light they get outside is just in the early morning, after around 10am they're fully shaded by the porch roof the rest of the day.
By camsdad66
I've been growing Miranda indoors in a sunny window for 15+ years. Does very well! Bulletproof plant!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By VelvetTooth
camsdad66 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:52 am I've been growing Miranda indoors in a sunny window for 15+ years. Does very well! Bulletproof plant!

What’s your humidity level?
By camsdad66
VelvetTooth wrote:
camsdad66 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:52 am I've been growing Miranda indoors in a sunny window for 15+ years. Does very well! Bulletproof plant!

What’s your humidity level?
Well, I live in Louisiana, USA, so the humidity has a way of creeping into the house. I would guess like 50-65% during summer. Probably less during winter, but the plants slow down a lot then anyway.

VelvetTooth liked this
By That one plant boi
To input, I know they're a bit harder to come by, but I would also recommend truncata. It's a large, very hardy nepenthes that does well in lower humidity, and does better in lower light than many, so I've heard. I grow mine in a corner on my back porch where it gets a couple hours of direct morning sun, then bright indirect most of the afternoon, and a little bit of dappled sun filtered through the leaves on my oak tree in the evenings before the sun sets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

VelvetTooth liked this
By specialkayme
I don't think you'll have any problem with a Miranda inside the house next to a relatively sunny window.

I've had a sangunea for years indoors. I tried misting it daily, or putting it next to a humidifier. It could care less. I had it next to a bright window and thought it wasn't getting enough light, so when it got warmer I put it outside. It got burned (guess it got used to the indoor light levels).

www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com is a good website for what you're trying to do (although it hasn't been updated in about a decade it appears). Overall most nepenthes are pretty hardy. Especially the common hybrids.
VelvetTooth liked this
By specialkayme
The really common ones aren't difficult to find. Lowes/Home Depot or a really good local nursery sometimes has them. You could also try etsy.
Beyond that, I'd check Carnivero and Florae. Petflytrap is another option.
Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!