FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
@Sundews69 ,at this point I'm a glutton for punishment! I appreciate the offer! If you have some surplus seeds that you don't think you'll use I'll be happy to take a few of them. No biggie if it doesn't happen, so no pressure (when will you be mailing them?...<grin> just kiddin'!) Those are some cool-looking plants! Thanks! Ed
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
@thepitchergrower, ya'll are killin' me with your generosity!!! I'm gonna wish you good growing on making the seeds (I don't believe in luck :D ). Those are flower stalks unfolding, eh? Neat! And thanks for the offer!!! Ed
By Sundews69
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:31 am Don't slingshot drosera seed over your electric fence. They're too small.
OMG don't get me started. My D. burmannii seeds I had were quite literally the size of a dust particle.
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:14 am @Sundews69 ,at this point I'm a glutton for punishment! I appreciate the offer! If you have some surplus seeds that you don't think you'll use I'll be happy to take a few of them. No biggie if it doesn't happen, so no pressure (when will you be mailing them?...<grin> just kiddin'!) Those are some cool-looking plants! Thanks! Ed
You'll need to be careful though if I can send you seed! D. burmannii is usually an annual in the wild and will put so much energy into the seeds when it flowers, it kills itself. It's possible to keep it alive if you feed it enough, fortunately.
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:31 am Don't slingshot drosera seed over your electric fence. They're too small.
Do I know you from another forum? Shooting seeds over the electric fence is a familiar thought! :D :lol:
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:37 am
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:14 am @Sundews69 ,at this point I'm a glutton for punishment! I appreciate the offer! If you have some surplus seeds that you don't think you'll use I'll be happy to take a few of them. No biggie if it doesn't happen, so no pressure (when will you be mailing them?...<grin> just kiddin'!) Those are some cool-looking plants! Thanks! Ed
You'll need to be careful though if I can send you seed! D. burmannii is usually an annual in the wild and will put so much energy into the seeds when it flowers, it kills itself. It's possible to keep it alive if you feed it enough, fortunately.
"...if you feed it enough..." That oughta be right up my granddaughter's alley!!! :D
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
The "little one" when home with it's mother. :lol: My granddaughter (and entourage) came by the house today and she carried her trap and some distilled water home with her. :) I reinforced some care points to her and we settled on a place to put it at her house (subject to change). But it should get direct sun from shortly after sunrise until an hour or two past noon. We'll see how that works and go from there. She seemed proud to be carrying it home. :)

I continue to be so, so weak, though. I made the trip to the closest TSC and got the only bale of sphagnum peat moss they had and I already had gotten a couple of bags of perlite so I'm good to go with re-potting and for upcoming seed planting. I, of course, had to go by Wallyworld for a couple of things *and* while there I had to check and see if they had any live fly traps. I think I need an intervention. :lol:

The traps were rather ragged at this Wallyworld but *somehow* a couple more followed me home. :ugeek: Seriously, somebody *must* be in charge of these garden departments that can do a better job of taking care of the plants.<sigh> Anyhow, I got them home, liberated them from their tubes, and watered them. I've got them along with the other two recent rescues sitting in a window getting use to actual light. I'll give them all a couple of more days and then move them outside for some direct sunshine...they get just a little direct sun for maybe an hour in the windowsill. When does Wallyworld quit selling fly traps...I need to wait until then before I go back there!!!!!!!! :o

I'll be re-potting these newcomers in a week or so. I figure I'll let them get a little stabilized from being in the shade and maltreated before I subject them to more stress.

Seems I'm going to be planting some sundew seeds soon and thanks to those involved and for all the information everybody has been giving me! I'm sure I'm going to be having plenty of questions. :D

But, for now...it's bedtime for this Bonzo. ;)
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:05 am The "little one" when home with it's mother. :lol: My granddaughter (and entourage) came by the house today and she carried her trap and some distilled water home with her. :) I reinforced some care points to her and we settled on a place to put it at her house (subject to change). But it should get direct sun from shortly after sunrise until an hour or two past noon. We'll see how that works and go from there. She seemed proud to be carrying it home. :)

I continue to be so, so weak, though. I made the trip to the closest TSC and got the only bale of sphagnum peat moss they had and I already had gotten a couple of bags of perlite so I'm good to go with re-potting and for upcoming seed planting. I, of course, had to go by Wallyworld for a couple of things *and* while there I had to check and see if they had any live fly traps. I think I need an intervention. :lol:

The traps were rather ragged at this Wallyworld but *somehow* a couple more followed me home. :ugeek: Seriously, somebody *must* be in charge of these garden departments that can do a better job of taking care of the plants.<sigh> Anyhow, I got them home, liberated them from their tubes, and watered them. I've got them along with the other two recent rescues sitting in a window getting use to actual light. I'll give them all a couple of more days and then move them outside for some direct sunshine...they get just a little direct sun for maybe an hour in the windowsill. When does Wallyworld quit selling fly traps...I need to wait until then before I go back there!!!!!!!! :o

I'll be re-potting these newcomers in a week or so. I figure I'll let them get a little stabilized from being in the shade and maltreated before I subject them to more stress.

Seems I'm going to be planting some sundew seeds soon and thanks to those involved and for all the information everybody has been giving me! I'm sure I'm going to be having plenty of questions. :D

But, for now...it's bedtime for this Bonzo. ;)
I know, right? My local Walmart never stops selling VFTs but never has Nepenthes! It's sooo annoying! I guess it's just being up in the Midwest where it's too cold. So what sundew seeds will you be planting soon? Which species?
By Lain
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:05 am The "little one" when home with it's mother. :lol:

I, of course, had to go by Wallyworld for a couple of things *and* while there I had to check and see if they had any live fly traps. I think I need an intervention. :lol:
Been following your thread and I have to say your granddaugher is very lucky! I wish I had someone to share the hobby with when I was younger. Also, you don't need an intervention. Besides.. if you actually did need one you've come to the wrong place. Between seed pushers and plant give aways here it's like people want to drown you in plants. I've been having dreams of shipping pallets of droseras being delivered and pushed around in my living room everytime I take a nap. :lol:

Oh and a late welcome to the forums!
Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
@Lain, so what you're saying is...there ain't no hope for me, eh? :lol: Oh well, as long as I don't end up with shipping pallets of CPs I guess I'm "ok". Oops, I've gotta go...for some reason there's an Old Dominion freight truck backing up to the front door......I don't remember ordering anything..... hmmm, there's green and red tentacle-looking things coming out the cracks around the roll-up door.... :shock: :o
thepitchergrower liked this
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:13 am I know, right? My local Walmart never stops selling VFTs but never has Nepenthes! It's sooo annoying! I guess it's just being up in the Midwest where it's too cold. So what sundew seeds will you be planting soon? Which species?
Dang...I missed your message somehow, sorry about that! It seems that for us that VFTs are kind of a seasonal offering. This year I've only seen them at Wallyworld but none at Lowes. I haven't seen anything other than traps offered. Some nepenthes would be cool!

It looks like from the seed bank I'll be getting some D. Capensis "Typical" seeds. Then from a very kind individual it looks like
D. capillaris "Eatonville FL", D. spatulata "Beenak Australia" and D. intermedia "Roraima Brazil". This should give me *plenty* of seeds to educate myself on growing Drosera, thanks to some generous folks!!! :D And a variety of them, too. I'm hoping that by the end of the week the seeds will be here...temperature is going into the 90's starting Sunday. I'll just have to keep my ears peeled for the lady on the old flea-bitten mule that delivers the mail so the seeds won't sit in the tin box down by the road for too long! Thankfully, it still gets some shade...later this summer when the sun's more overhead it'll be a furnace in the mailbox! :shock:

I've definitely got a learning curve ahead of me!!! It'll be fun!
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:17 am
Sundews69 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:13 am I know, right? My local Walmart never stops selling VFTs but never has Nepenthes! It's sooo annoying! I guess it's just being up in the Midwest where it's too cold. So what sundew seeds will you be planting soon? Which species?
Dang...I missed your message somehow, sorry about that! It seems that for us that VFTs are kind of a seasonal offering. This year I've only seen them at Wallyworld but none at Lowes. I haven't seen anything other than traps offered. Some nepenthes would be cool!

It looks like from the seed bank I'll be getting some D. Capensis "Typical" seeds. Then from a very kind individual it looks like
D. capillaris "Eatonville FL", D. spatulata "Beenak Australia" and D. intermedia "Roraima Brazil". This should give me *plenty* of seeds to educate myself on growing Drosera, thanks to some generous folks!!! :D And a variety of them, too. I'm hoping that by the end of the week the seeds will be here...temperature is going into the 90's starting Sunday. I'll just have to keep my ears peeled for the lady on the old flea-bitten mule that delivers the mail so the seeds won't sit in the tin box down by the road for too long! Thankfully, it still gets some shade...later this summer when the sun's more overhead it'll be a furnace in the mailbox! :shock:

I've definitely got a learning curve ahead of me!!! It'll be fun!
Yeah, this'll be a fun learning experience! You'll have to let us know if you get germination.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Somebody stop me, please. I've got a TDS meter and some 5-gallon paint strainer bags ordered.<sigh> :o

"OCD Me" :)
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!