FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Is aluminum harmful to CPs? And if so, will something made of aluminum get dissolved enough in water to negatively affect CPs? (my last theory as to why my seedlings are barely growing)

By the way, I’m saying this because I’m using a cheap aluminum cake pan as a tray for some of my CPs, but I can always switch it if it’s harmful to my plants.
By ChefDean
Carnivorous plants grow in an acidic environment, that acid will deteriorate metal over time. That deterioration will cause a buildup of aluminum in the water that will eventually migrate to the media. Carny plants roots are basically straws to suck up water, so they'll suck up the shed aluminum ions as well. This is a big reason that plastic or some other inert, nonreactive material is recommended for pots.
That being said, only about 5 ppm aluminum can be toxic for most plants. Where carny plants are more sensitive to minerals and such, that toxicity threshold is lower, probably closer to 2 ppm. Aluminum toxicity is a big factor is plant development, mostly affecting roots, specifically the membrane surrounding the nucleus in the root growth areas.
You'll want to get them out of the aluminum, flush with fresh, low TDS water, and into a different, nonreactive tray. I would flush them daily, replacing any water in the new pan, daily for a few days at least, maybe a week or more.
This may be a major factor in why your plants are so much smaller than your cousins.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:35 am This is a big reason that plastic or some other inert, nonreactive material is recommended for pots.
Would the plastic from gallons be safe to use?
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:26 pm
ChefDean wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:35 am This is a big reason that plastic or some other inert, nonreactive material is recommended for pots.
Would the plastic from gallons be safe to use?
Gallons of what?
Pretty much as long as it is clean, no leftover chemical residue from whatever was in it, they should be fine.
By thepitchergrower
I think trapsanddews is talking about the plastic from distilled water gallon jugs. You could cut off the bottom, and use it as a pot, or a water tray.
TrapsAndDews, ChefDean liked this
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm I think trapsanddews is talking about the plastic from distilled water gallon jugs. You could cut off the bottom, and use it as a pot, or a water tray.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
ChefDean liked this
By optique
Plastic is the way to go. Ask people to save tubs for you to reuse. Talk to a landscaper about used pots.

Check out my rattle snakes I potted yesterday in cool wipe tubs.
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:35 am You'll want to get them out of the aluminum, flush with fresh, low TDS water, and into a different, nonreactive tray. I would flush them daily, replacing any water in the new pan, daily for a few days at least, maybe a week or more.
This may be a major factor in why your plants are so much smaller than your cousins.
When you said to flush them, did you mean watering from the top? And would the seedlings mind being temporarily submerged underwater?
By -Stanley-
Hmm, strange. Is this the same for everyone?
Attachments:
Screenshot (203)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (203)_LI.jpg (134.2 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
By thepitchergrower
System glitch. But hey! If you could give me 2 thumbs ups on my photo contest entry, I wouldn't mind. :lol:
By -Stanley-
thepitchergrower wrote:System glitch. But hey! If you could give me 2 thumbs ups on my photo contest entry, I wouldn't mind. :lol:
:lol:
By Z_Y
I've used aluminum baking trays for my plants for years before with no ill effects, but at this point these trays are so easy to find in plastic that you might as well use plastic ones to be safe.
TrapsAndDews, ChefDean liked this
By benguinmeowmeow
I've used an aluminium baking tray as a catch tray for top-watered Nepenthes before. What I noticed after a year or two were pale greenish crystals caked around the edge as if something in the (acidic) water runoff had reacted with it. Would just stick to plastic for anything watered with the tray method.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!