FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By davinstewart
I just noticed that sphagnum moss prices have tripled over the past year.

I used to have a link to amazon.com Supermoss 2.1 lb bale selling at $24 and checked the price today ... $64.

Based on that, I may be rethinking my stance on only potting flytraps in 1 sphagnum : 1 perlite.

Also, on a completely unrelated note ... any tips on growing sphagnum in bulk?
By ChefDean
I've taken to getting quality LFSM from Matt, either Chilean or New Zealand, and throwing a couple handfuls in when I mix up some peat/perlite. I've found that, while the peat holds water well, the LFSM helps water move around quicker as well as, along with the perlite, keep it a little more airy and less prone to compaction.
So far it seems to be doing well.
davinstewart liked this
By VFTnPups
I used to use that brand/size bale of Supermoss. I went through 3-4 bales of it last year. I tried using Better Gro (fluffy, but lots of grass seeds) and a 5 kg bale of Chilean Moss (about the same quality as Supermoss, but so much more debris) this year. My typicals are okay, but my cultivars have been struggling. The weather here has been really crappy, so I thought a change of moss might help. I bought a 3 kg bale of One Mile Moss (NZ lfsm) a few weeks ago. That stuff is wonderful. No debris. It is so fluffy and clean and the strands are long. The only drawback is that it is pricey, but considering Besgrow Spagmoss is $35 for 150 grams now, One Mile Moss is totally worth it. I can’t go back to using Supermoss or any other brand now.

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!