FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By John W
Hello everyone,

I have had two of the easy growing heliamphora for maybe around 6-8 months (heterodoxia and minor). They seem to growing well - the heterodoxia came with a flower, but has not flowered in my ownership which has me a minorly (har har) worried, but has probably tripled in size. Minor may have grown a little, it’s still very small.

In addition I recently picked up two new heliamphoras (exa and minor var pilosa) - both have new pitchers forming in the month under my care. These fellas led me to do a bit more research and have a couple questions.

TLDR - can these fellas survive intermediate conditions long term? Find conflicting info online.

- 77-85 during the day, with the 83 to 85 high lasting for maybe an hour at the height of the day, and a constant 69-70F at night. Humidity remains between 75-85%, sometimes higher depending on the ambient Georgia humidity. I ensure they have RODI water in their pitchers at all times, and mist them to simulate a light rain every day. My thermastat is set at 78 during the day, so the variance in temperature is from their grow light.

Just wondering if I need to start looking to trade them out or if they should be alright. Maybe only time can tell? The information online seems to be conflicting in that some people can grow them on their kitchen counter with no problems, and some people have them die after 6 months. Have read they require a drop to 50-55 degrees at night, but also read 70 night / 78+day is fine. I’m aware of species vs hybrid vigor is different as well.

Thanks for reading and for your expertise!
-John
By specialkayme
If one's been growing fine for you over the past 6-8 months, I think that's your answer.

I've heard heterodoxia and minor were the most forgiving for intermediate conditions. "As true today as when it was written in the Savage Garden."
But who knows.

I've also heard all heli's are fickle, and require very exacting conditions or they'll slowly whither and die. I decided to get a heterodoxia x minor to see if it would grow next to my nepenthes. Six months so far for me, and it hasn't complained.

I suspect there is significant variation from plant to plant, even in the same species.
John W liked this
By John W
Thank you for your expertise! Sounds like our experiences have been similar - any idea if the conditions for flowering require the 55 temp drop? Not terrible if it never flowers but would be cool. The only other issue I’ve had is that the heterodoxia has grown a pitcher underneath another pitcher and it actually punctured a hole into it. I think that’s just something that happens
By Sundews69
I don't think they need 55 degrees to flower. One of my friends (I think we're considered friends now), Nancy Martins, grows lots of Helis at 63 degrees and they flower regularly for her. I have a four helis now, all of which I got from her, which are in 64-67 degrees during the night and around 70-72 degrees during the day. This will change in the summer, but they have all put out pitchers (although some are now putting out juvenile pitchers) in those temps. I know they aren't the same conditions as you, but they're pretty close.
John W liked this
By specialkayme
John W wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 pmany idea if the conditions for flowering require the 55 temp drop?
As a general rule, no I do not believe it is a requirement across the board.

There is significant variation between different heli's, and even within the same cultivar of heli's. What works for one won't be a requirement for another. Adaptation also plays a role.

Generally speaking though, I believe it's the change in temperature at night, more than what it changes to. For example, a drop of 10 or 20 degrees from day to night seems to matter more than if it drops to 65, 60 or 55.

For me, the normal cycle of my HVAC and the settings I put in for my house (independent of my plant conditions) seems to work well for the heli (as well as my highland neps, at least so far). You can see the temp and humidity variation over the past year in the photo.
Screenshot_20220504-090212.png
Screenshot_20220504-090212.png (314.72 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
John W liked this
By John W
Interesting and thank you for the graphic! I believe I get that temperature drop - have heard that before for nepenthes but hadn’t heard for helis. Out of curiosity, which highland nepenthes do you have? The ones I am interested in I have been too scared to risk it
By specialkayme
N. hamata (BE-3380)
N. hamata x edwardsiana
N. edwardsiana
N. hamata (Tambusisi x Lumut), BE-4044
N. villosa x veitchii

Those are probably what most would consider highland. But one vendor will push one of them higher or lower than another, so IDK.

I really wanted a Hamata, but figured I couldn't keep it alive. Then heard of the guy in Michigan who keeps a hamata (thriving) in his living room. I figured I'd give it a shot. Been a little over a year and it's doing fine. Since then I added the rest, slowly (not all at once).

I actually started with a maxima x edwardsiana. It did just fine. So I tried what I thought was the "simplier" hamata (3380). It did fine too. I think I really pushed the limit with the eddy (but I found a good deal on it, and heard many rumors that it was less picky than hamata). Since none have up and revolted on me yet, I'm half tempted to try a villosa or a diabolica. But I honestly think that's beyond my capabilities. We'll see though.

In part, most of the rumors I feel are a little exaggerated on how temperamental many of these highlands are. But in full and fair warning, many accounts report that people had a highland nep that did great for a year or two, then kicked the bucket. Consensus is usually that a highland nep needs the cool nights to "recharge it's metabolism" or something like that, and without the temp drop it just burns through it's lifecycle in a year or two. Granted, that could happen to me too. Or I'm like the guy in Michigan that gets his to flower using a shoplight in Michigan winter with 5% RH. Who knows.
John W liked this
By John W
Wow, those are all awesome plants and great information!! Great collection. This is also the exact type information that's going to get me the hubris to try a hamata - I too really want one. Carnivero has a few of the AW lumut for decent prices - you have convinced me I'm going to try one out. I have also read the AW clone 1 for lowii is supposedly very tolerant as well as fast growing, but still hesitant to try more than one. I guess we will see how the hamata works for me
specialkayme liked this

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!