FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Beniamin Szabo
I live in Romania and it is rely hard to find sphagnum peat moss where I live. I found online some carnivorous plant soil mix but the description sounds like all kinds of wrong.
Here is the link to the soil mix https://www.emag.ro/substrat-natural-dr ... DLRHTTMBM/
The website is in Romanian so here is a google translation of the description:

"Composition: peat, biohumus, Mediterranean pine bark humus min. 30%, compost from vegetable waste, organic matter

This formula meets the main needs of carnivorous plants (Dionaea, Sarracenia, Nepenthes, Drosera, Pinguicula, etc.): sufficient amount of water accessible to roots and very good drainage, natural fertilization with biohumus, supplemented with compost from green waste, natural immunity and strengthening the plant structure.

How to use: Choose a suitable pot and place some pebbles at the base to ensure adequate water drainage. Then pour a layer of substrate and prepare a hole to place the new plant. Carefully remove the plant from the old pot and gently remove any soil present at the roots. Place the plant in the new pot, cover the roots with the substrate and press lightly and evenly around the plant. Water the plant slowly and moderately. After planting: water as usual after 7 days. If necessary, add a layer of substrate. Fertilization is not required for a period of 6 months.
Storage conditions: keep the bag in a dry place in the original packaging. Keep out of reach of children. Do not store in direct sunlight."

Sorry for the long post.
By Beniamin Szabo
That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the reply. In that case my only option would be this sphagnum peat mos https://www.ferma-gradina.ro/turba-de-s ... -6361.html which is the only one i found here in Romania that doesn't say anything about fertilizer. Any other peat I found on the market is enriched with all kinds of fertilizers.
By Panman
That peat moss would be perfect. As far as the other soil, there was a post a while back of someone who had used it and it was killing their plants. i-dont-know-if-my-venus-flytrap-is-dyin ... 52839.html.
Beniamin Szabo liked this
By Beniamin Szabo
In that case I'll go for that peat mos in combination with perlite. I might even try to find some suitable long fiber sphagnum moss. However all I can find here in Romania is labeled "For orchids". Which makes me wander if it's suitable for CPs.
By Panman
If it is just the moss, then it is probably good. I use a moss called Better Gro and it is labeled as orchid moss. If you want to link to the package, we might be able to tell you if it is suitable.
Beniamin Szabo liked this
By Beniamin Szabo
I found multiple options. I'll link them bellow
By Panman
#1a looks like live moss. That would be very good.
#1b the fertilizer scares me. It might be okay but I wouldn't risk it.
#2 Chilean moss is generally pretty good to use.
#3 Also Chilean but the fibers look like it may be chopped up. It still should work.
#4 New Zealand moss is the Holy Grail of sphagnum moss. It does say medium instead of long fibered, so it may be somewhat chopped for reptile use.

I didn't compare the cost, you will need to decide that, but disregarding cost, I would rate them as follows
#1a
#2 & #3

I would not use #1b. That being said, I wouldn't order much of any of them the first time. Order one batch and see what it looks like before committing to it.
By Beniamin Szabo
The first one also says "May also contain impurities: twigs, leaves, or other plant debris." and judging by the second picture it looks like it definitely contains those impurities. So I'm inclined to go with #4. Does the fact that it is chopped affect the roots or the plant in general in any way?
By Beniamin Szabo
For now, I only have a Venus' Flytrap. It's doing really well in it's original container but it's a bit small, I think, and I'm thinking to repot it in the next dormancy period.
In the future I might also buy a Sarracenia or a Nepenthes depending on how well I'm doing with the VFT
By Panman
Flytraps do really well in straight sphagnum. It is a bit of a pain when it comes to repotting because the roots get tangled in the moss, but I think they grow better in it. Sarrs and Neps will also do well in sphagnum but it requires a lot, which can get expensive. I grow my sarrs in peat/perlite, but they can also grow in straight peat as well.
By Beniamin Szabo
Thanks a lot for all the advice and help. I can't express my gratitude. Do you suggest reporting now when the VFT is growing new traps or should I wayt until late dormancy?
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!