FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
uh.. my venus flytrap was left to dry out a little bit because the water i used for it was distilled water with added minerals.
is my vft long gone or can it still be saved
(im resorting to rain water)
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 1606 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1606 times
By Panman
It looks like you have a couple of things going on. First, you know that you used water with added minerals. You need to flush pure distilled water through the pot multiple times to rinse those out. If it is possible, a better option is to repot the plant in fresh media. The second issue is that it looks like your plant may not be getting enough light. What kind of light does it get?
By Veronis
I agree with Panman, and I'll add that the growing medium is turning green on the top because the soil is being kept too wet. It needs to be left to dry out on the soil surface more between waterings.
By Wutihbe
Panman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:13 pm It looks like you have a couple of things going on. First, you know that you used water with added minerals. You need to flush pure distilled water through the pot multiple times to rinse those out. If it is possible, a better option is to repot the plant in fresh media.
i plan to repot my vft sometime soon.
Panman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:13 pm The second issue is that it looks like your plant may not be getting enough light. What kind of light does it get?

it gets around 8-12 hours of light.
because i grow it indoors,
lightbulb is LED
its 810 lumen..? i think. or maybe 1080 lumens
it is like 80w. but looks more like 10.5w (according to packaging)
By Wutihbe
aight here is an update:
i decided to relocate my vft to a nearby rooftop garden. it dies not look good but it gets the rain water it needs
By optique
The green stuff on top is most likely from growing it inside under weak light. the super wide stems is a sign to me it needs more light. Under the light the plant wants it would kill algae. Lumen is a measurement of what the human eye can see, and can not be used to calculate what a plant needs.

Moving it outside is your best bet in most temperate area's. You would have to slowly go up on the light to accumulate the current growth not to burn it. If you have already burned it the damage is done it will regrow if it is healthy.

This is a photo of what my outside plants look like today, they are under full sun and outside year round. They are just waking up from winter and are still small.
Dan V liked this
By plantnerdjules
There is someone in Singapore breeding VFTs specifically to grow well in your tropical conditions. That might be a good solution for you? ( I wish I could buy his tropical VFTs here in Australia.)

See this post by Carnies flytraps-in-singapore-t54234.html
and this website https://sgvenusflytrap.wordpress.com/

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!