FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DeviLe15
Hi there!

I want to repot my VFT for the first time. Had it for 2+ years now and haven't repot it yet cuz I'm a horrible person. This is the pot I bought the plant in.

From a post I read, coir is not sustainable for a healthy VFT and most people recommend equal parts of peat moss and perlite. A store near me has Sphagnum Peat Moss from Golfgreen and Perlite from Miracle Gro. Can I just buy pure peat moss, and if there a certain kind I need? I only have the one plant so I really just need a small bag.

Attached is a pic of the VFT.

Definitely overdue. Recommendations for container size? I know plastic is probably the easiest to go.
Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_8696.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8696.jpg (257.42 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
By Panman
Don't use the Miracle Gro perlite. If has fertilizer in it. That pot looks like a good size for it. If you can't find other perlite, you can look for silica sand.
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:59 pm Don't use the Miracle Gro perlite. If has fertilizer in it.
I looked up the specs on this product since it's often the only brand of perlite that many stores carry:

Miracle-Gro Perlite 0.07-0.07-0.07

Active Ingredient
Perlite ..... 99.4%
Wetting agent ..... 0.07%

Inert Ingredient
Fertilizer ..... 0.49%

That level is so low that it shouldn't bother carnivorous plants at all. Honestly, I don't know why the company even bothers....

Back in my early days, before I realized the issue, I used Miracle-Gro perlite with all of my carnivorous plants (I don't anymore because I buy perlite in large quantities: 2-3 cubic-feet / 56-85 liters at a pop). None of my plants had any issues with it. I top-water everything, so that might be a factor in its usability, too.
Apollyon liked this
By DeviLe15
I water at the bottom usually. I do this because I was having mould issues where the top soil would start moulding. I have been watering from the bottom ever since (hence the little dish it sits in).

I really only need a small bag if each because I only have the one plant. I've been looking at Lowe's and Walmart and that have large bags for $30+ and I just need a little baggy.

Here is the website specs for the bag I'm looking at for Perlite:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mira ... p.html#srp

It says .05 percent nitrogen which sounds pretty low.

Here's the sphagnum peat moss I was thinking of:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/golf ... p.html#srp

Literally, the cheapest and smallest bags I can find near me online! lol

As for the pot, I want to get a different pot as this one is only 2-3 inches tall. I'm sure I can find something a little wider that is at least 5 inches for the roots to grow.

What do ya think?
By evenwind
Why not buy a bag of pre-mixed? 50/50 Peat/Perlite is easy to come by on either Ebay or Amazon. Just search "carnivorous plant soil" or something similar.
By evenwind
I'm not happy about the limestone. But I didn't realize that you were in Canada. I checked both Canadian Ebay and Amazon and you don't have a lot of choices. I think you'd be best off switching to Long Fibered Sphagnum (LFS), which is fine for VFTs. Look for Spagmoss, SuperMoss, Better Gro or any Andean sphagnum (Chilean or Peruvian). Same rules apply - no additives!
By MikeB
DeviLe15 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:15 pm Here is the website specs for the bag I'm looking at for Perlite:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mira ... p.html#srp

Here's the sphagnum peat moss I was thinking of:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/golf ... p.html#srp
Those choices for peat moss and perlite should work well. For the amount of soil that you get in the end, It's a lot less expensive to buy the ingredients and mix your own than to buy it pre-mixed. Be sure to get the peat moss thoroughly damp before you mix in the perlite.
By DeviLe15
evenwind wrote:I'm not happy about the limestone. But I didn't realize that you were in Canada. I checked both Canadian Ebay and Amazon and you don't have a lot of choices. I think you'd be best off switching to Long Fibered Sphagnum (LFS), which is fine for VFTs. Look for Spagmoss, SuperMoss, Better Gro or any Andean sphagnum (Chilean or Peruvian). Same rules apply - no additives!
Unfortunately I'll have issues with those as well. Specialized soils seem to be a rare find here.

If the two links I posted are safe I'll probably get those. They do have fertilizer or something inside 2 people so far have said it should be fine... I hope they will be good!
By Panman
MikeB wrote:Be sure to get the peat moss thoroughly damp before you mix in the perlite.
I mix mine together first and then add the water and mix it in. Why do you wet the peat first?
By thepitchergrower
Perhaps it's something to do with the perlite dust. I would think that mixing the perlite in with wet peat would help keep the dust from flying...?
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
^ What he said.

Also, when I mix the ingredients together, the perlite and sand don't separate out from the peat moss if the peat is already wet.
By DeviLe15
All right, here is my Venus fly trap. Lots of dead long . Very tiny tiny plants inside. I won’t be surprised if half of these plants die.

50% perlite 50% peat moss. I hope the small traces of fertilizer in the perlite don’t kill my plant.

Btw there’s 5 plants in this photo, lol.
Attachments:
7656338A-B0EC-402A-83C0-BBEC82EFA9FB.jpeg
7656338A-B0EC-402A-83C0-BBEC82EFA9FB.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2970 times
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, the perlite is Miracle-Gro and the picture of the bag had "0.04-0.01-0.06" printed on the front of it...??? Is the analysis so low that it doesn't matter? The analysis on the bag at the Miracle-Gro website (US version) states an analysis of 0.07-0.07-0.07, FWIW.
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:33 am Hmmm, the perlite is Miracle-Gro and the picture of the bag had "0.04-0.01-0.06" printed on the front of it...??? Is the analysis so low that it doesn't matter? The analysis on the bag at the Miracle-Gro website (US version) states an analysis of 0.07-0.07-0.07, FWIW.
Seriously. With all of the fertilizer that Miracle-Gro sprays on the peat moss and soil mixes, why bother with the miniscule amount that sticks to the perlite? :roll:
Intheswamp liked this
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!