FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I'm not at all sure what you've got, but I don't think it's spider mites. For one thing, I'm not seeing any damage to the plants. Also, while spider mites are tiny, they're not invisible. You can actually see them with your naked eye (assuming you have somewhat normal vision).
By TrapsAndDews
evenwind wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:48 pm I'm not at all sure what you've got, but I don't think it's spider mites. For one thing, I'm not seeing any damage to the plants. Also, while spider mites are tiny, they're not invisible. You can actually see them with your naked eye (assuming you have somewhat normal vision).
Whatever's causing the webs doesn't seem to be damaging the plants, but the webs are affecting some of the plants by restricting the plant growth somewhat.

I found this at GrowSundews: http://www.growsundews.com/neem_oil.html
Will it work? (I don't exactly know what pests I have, so I'd rather be using something that affects as many bugs as possible.)
By thepitchergrower
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:51 am
evenwind wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:48 pm I'm not at all sure what you've got, but I don't think it's spider mites. For one thing, I'm not seeing any damage to the plants. Also, while spider mites are tiny, they're not invisible. You can actually see them with your naked eye (assuming you have somewhat normal vision).
Whatever's causing the webs doesn't seem to be damaging the plants, but the webs are affecting some of the plants by restricting the plant growth somewhat.

I found this at GrowSundews: http://www.growsundews.com/neem_oil.html
Will it work? (I don't exactly know what pests I have, so I'd rather be using something that affects as many bugs as possible.)
It's pretty obvious that this is either fungal or pests. Seeing that the growsundews article says that neem oil takes care of both, I would guess that it should work... :?
By Carnies
I've also had this problem, it doesn't seem to be fungal or pest related and may just be some kind of.. i actually don't know but it shouldn't harm the plants.
By TrapsAndDews
I've been poking around all over the soil and looked under the plants, and I cannot find whatever is causing this. These webs are restricting the new leaves from opening up. I can't really buy anything, because I don't know what exactly is causing this, and I don't want to waste my money on buying lots of different things against different pests. Can someone tell me how to identify what is causing these webs? Are the bugs nocturnal or something? This is very frustrating. Maybe I could get some ladybugs in there since they eat practically every pest.
By Panman
Personally, I have never seen fungus gnat larvae, but I have seen the gnats. That really looks like fungus gnats to me. Mosquito bits are the safest option available to you for dealing with the seedlings. The other option is to try and submerge everything in water and see if that helps. It works for aphids but I have never seen it used for anything else, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.
By TrapsAndDews
Panman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:25 pm Personally, I have never seen fungus gnat larvae, but I have seen the gnats. That really looks like fungus gnats to me.
Shouldn't I have seen the adults by now? Unless, the larvae stage lasts very long. (Sorry if I sound annoying. :oops: This is just kind of confusing.)
thepitchergrower wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:26 pm You may want to start reducing the humidity. Are they bagged?
Yes, they are bagged. I could try that.
By thepitchergrower
Seeing that they are bagged, you probably would have seen the adults by now. Which makes me think that this is some fungal issue. I think reducing humidity would help.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Carnies
I think if you keep removing the nets it will deter the gnats or whatever, I mean if someone kept destroying my "home" i would leave lol.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I think it was mold. One of the plants had a very big fluffy lump on it that definitely looked like mold, but I have the corners of the bag cut now and so far haven't seen anymore webs/mold.
By Intheswamp
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:07 pm You said it won't work if I'm tray watering. Would it work if I used a spray bottle?

Also, what are all those warnings on the bag for? :?
I would think you would want to do a soil drench with the mosquito bits, which would mean top watering. The top watering doesn't have to be constant, probably once to get the bacteria into the grow mix. Wait. See how it does. Repeat. ???

The warnings???....don't eat it.
Dan V, TrapsAndDews liked this
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!