FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By EJ Clarke
My VFT seems to be doing well I think, since my other topic of First Time care questions for growing them in TX sun/heat/dryness.

It's still little but the baby traps have sprung up HIGH & are getting tall, what I thought was another trap turned out to be a flowering stem & pod. Is this a good sign that it's healthy?

I'm likely going to clip it off since the plant is still on the small side & I don't want it wasting the energy to flower. The traps are all a nice green, very few have a red/pink tinge to them. I'm hoping the bigger they get the more red will come into the traps. The top layer of sphagnum is still growing some green though, not sure why that's growing so well on the surface.

But anyway, should it be flowering already? Is it a good or bad thing for it to be? Thanks!
By EJ Clarke
That's why I was asking because it is absolutely NOT matured. Not in the slightest. The rhizome itself is barely as big as a 25 cent quarter, less than that actually.

I was wondering if I should be concerned for the plant or if it (flowering) means anything negative because it's so small & immature.
By MikeB
Well, the plant thinks that it's mature enough to bloom.... I've had some flytraps crank out flowers when I thought they were way too small for that (spotted a couple of 'em today). I always cut off the flower stalks on the little ones so they'll focus on growing leaves and getting bigger.
By ChefDean
A quarter sized rhizome is actually pretty large, I've had much smaller plants send up stalks. They were perfectly healthy plants, they just felt that Mother Nature told them it's time. They all got cut for a number of reasons, but that's what I do.
Dan V liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!