FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By VelvetTooth
Does anyone grow their cobra lily in hot temperatures, full sun, and no cold water(basically the same care as flytraps and sarracenia)? I’m thinking about getting one and only found good prices from Cook’s carnivores, but his site is slow and I read about problems with contacting and shipping. Are there any notable vendors who sell cobra lilies for good deals? :D
By thepitchergrower
Certain Oregon populations of darlingtonia are more tolerant of hot temperatures, warm soil... Unless you know your plant is from one of those populations, I don't suggest you try.
VelvetTooth liked this
By Carnies
VelvetTooth wrote:Does anyone grow their cobra lily in hot temperatures, full sun, and no cold water(basically the same care as flytraps and sarracenia)? I’m thinking about getting one and only found good prices from Cook’s carnivores, but his site is slow and I read about problems with contacting and shipping. Are there any notable vendors who sell cobra lilies for good deals? :D
Yup! I did that for a few years but I forgot to water them one time and they dried out :( Cascade carnivores has some of the best cobra lilies!
VelvetTooth liked this
By Nepenthes0260
It can be done, although it will largely depend on where you’re located. Here in eastern Washington state where we get cool nights year round I’m able to grow Darlingtonia alongside flytraps and sarrs, although you won’t have nearly as much luck trying the same thing in Florida. I have some small seed grown Darlingtonia available for sale right now (check the link in my signature).
Carnies liked this
By Panman
The key is the a night time drop in temperature. I tried the frozen bottles and a fountain in my Georgia heat. I missed 3 nights and my Cobra spontaneously died. Fortunately I had a stolon cutting I started which shall never sew my Georgia sun.
VelvetTooth liked this
By VelvetTooth
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:24 am Certain Oregon populations of darlingtonia are more tolerant of hot temperatures, warm soil... Unless you know your plant is from one of those populations, I don't suggest you try.
Which vendors sell oregon ones?
By Carnies
VelvetTooth wrote:
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:24 am Certain Oregon populations of darlingtonia are more tolerant of hot temperatures, warm soil... Unless you know your plant is from one of those populations, I don't suggest you try.
Which vendors sell oregon ones?
I emailed Cascade Carnivores a while ago and they said their cobras sit in water trays all day long in the heat, idk if they're based in Oregon.
By thepitchergrower
Assuming the plants were collected from those particular location, have the genetics from plants of that location (for example, seed grown), or have location data from the Oregon locations.

I would suggest researching this. Flytrapstore sells the seeds of the hardier Oregon varieties: https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/darlingtonia-seed
VelvetTooth liked this
By thepitchergrower
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:59 am Assuming the plants were collected from those particular location, have the genetics from plants of that location (for example, seed grown), or have location data from the Oregon locations.

I would suggest researching this. Flytrapstore sells the seeds of the hardier Oregon varieties: https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/darlingtonia-seed
Here's an interesting video on Darlingtonia in the wild by Sarracenia Northwest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebZMWy2SLU&t=475s

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!