FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By lemon
I've acquired this Sarracenia x purpurea (Barbapapa) last summer and it was growing fine till autumn (still very warm outside). It had lots of pitchers, bigger and smaller, all healthy. In October a large number of small pitchers started to decay, then came dormancy period and now the plant is growing again, pitchers big and small, but the small ones die so quick. They grow to 1 inch, open up and a few days later start to wither from top to bottom. Meantime those that grow big are okay.

Is this normal for this type of Sarracenia?
Attachments:
IMG_20220422_191622.jpg
IMG_20220422_191622.jpg (397.28 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
By Panman
It looks like you may have multiple growth points on that plant, so that would account for the different sized pitchers. The pitchers should not be turning brown after a few days. They should hold until next dormancy. It looks like the tray that it is sitting in is terracotta (clay), is that the case? You may be leaching minerals into the plant. Sarrs are generally pretty good at ignoring that, but It might affect the new growth.
Sundews69, lemon liked this
By Sundews69
Panman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 pm It looks like you may have multiple growth points on that plant, so that would account for the different sized pitchers. The pitchers should not be turning brown after a few days. They should hold until next dormancy. It looks like the tray that it is sitting in is terracotta (clay), is that the case? You may be leaching minerals into the plant. Sarrs are generally pretty good at ignoring that, but It might affect the new growth.
Good point. I didn't see the tray or multiple growth points. I guess I'm just blind.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!