FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
I have been noticing on one of my Megatraps these "chew" marks on one of the newly developing flytraps... It has been like this for a couple of weeks and I am pretty sure there has not been any more damage done since but I could be mistaken.

Could this be from a pest or some type of trauma? I do not have anything like cats or squirrels around so that is not a problem. I have been noticing this same thing on a few other newly developing leaves on other flytraps but the damage is a lot less. I sprayed 6 days ago for mealy bugs and possibly mites.

I have not been able to find anything on this throughout the forums so I thought I was ask to see if any of you have had this happen to your plants before. I attached a pic with the problem circled, any help would be really appreciated, thanks!
Attachments:
megatrapschewmarks.jpg
megatrapschewmarks.jpg (4.52 MiB) Viewed 1234 times
By frankgrimes087
Hang wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:52 pm maybe birds noming on them yummy leaves
haha :D well you never know, I don't usually see birds around the plants but I'm sure they could sneak in there for some goodness when I'm not looking lol... but I will keep birds in mind, I'm still wondering if its some type of pest but I haven't found any yet.
By frankgrimes087
Panman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:10 pm Looks like bird damage to me.
For sure, after you guys suggesting that it could be bird damage rather than some type of insect I can very well see it being so. There is this type of bird called a "thrasher" and they are very aggressive with big ass beaks that can absolutely tear stuff apart... so I am thinking that it is from them. I cant think of any other bird around here that has attacked my plants but I guess you never know, I will just have to keep a close watch.

Thanks for the help guys always appreciated!
By Panman
Birds have been known to tear up flytraps. I'm not sure why, but they do. Maybe to eliminate the competition.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
Panman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:48 pm Birds have been known to tear up flytraps. I'm not sure why, but they do. Maybe to eliminate the competition.
lol :lol: I could definitely believe that especially coming from those thrashers that are around here... Maybe I can grow I flytrap big enough to capture one :D
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!