FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I've got a pinguicula gingatea and a few of its leaves growing into plantlets in a plastic bag, and they're starting to require their own pots now.

What's a good, overall mix I can put together for my pings? I tried googling but there were a lot of results, some even saying that I can plant them in a mix that includes potting soil. Is there an overall, easy to put together mix I can get with stuff from Home Depot and Lowes?

Thanks in advance!
By Apollyon
I get a little nutty with ping mixes but I've been able to plant every Mexican ping I've ever acquired in a mix of equal parts peat/perlite/silica sand/turface with a tbsp of lime sand per ICPS. The mix also allows me to tray water up towards halfway up the pot, dormant or active which is great because they seem to just do what they want and I don't like to move them around. Light and temperatures I'm sure may be a factor there though.

A good overall mix would be something easily draining that the shallow roots can get moisture from. I like turface mvp because it can hold a great amount of water while also making the media easily draining and it compacts itself just right. The sand closes the large pockets, the perlite is for drainage and the peat exists in my mix solely to supply water to the other ingredients. Many pings are pretty forgiving as long as you don't overdo it.
Nikson liked this
By tib777
I was just wondering a similar thing since my cyclosecta and laueana x emarginata weren’t doing good. When I unpotted tgem, the roots were in pure sludgy peat. So I repotted with mostly perlite, a little less vermiculite, and just some peat to provide the wicking effect of water to the other ingredients. I’ve heard a lot about pure mineral mixes, crushed coral, pumice, etc. I used perlite instead of the pumice and coral and vermiculite instead of sand. Don’t overdo it with peat!
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!