FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
Imageso my vft is uh..
growing new leaves. that is normal.
but that new leaf keeps dying. wat is happening?
Attachments:
lighting info ( its LED)
lighting info ( its LED)
image.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2302 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 2302 times
By Wutihbe
also i found this insect drowning in the water tray for my vft. had to save it because yes.
any info on it? (off topic but i need to know lol)
Attachments:
it used to have wings but it fell off
it used to have wings but it fell off
image.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2301 times
By MikeB
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am so my vft is uh..
The older leaves look odd: dark green down the middle, yellow-green on the sides.
  • Are you using low-mineral water (50 PPM or less)?
  • How wet is the soil? When I see new traps die before they have a chance to unfold, it's often due to the soil being too wet. The algae growing on your moss supports this idea. If you're using the tray-watering method, let the saucer go dry between refills (in other words, don't keep topping-off the saucer when it gets low).
  • How much light is this flytrap getting?
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:22 am also i found this insect drowning in the water tray for my vft. had to save it because yes.
It looks like flytrap food to me. :D
Savethetrees4life liked this
By Wutihbe
MikeB wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:15 pm
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am so my vft is uh..
The older leaves look odd: dark green down the middle, yellow-green on the sides.
  • Are you using low-mineral water (50 PPM or less)?
  • How wet is the soil? When I see new traps die before they have a chance to unfold, it's often due to the soil being too wet. The algae growing on your moss supports this idea. If you're using the tray-watering method, let the saucer go dry between refills (in other words, don't keep topping-off the saucer when it gets low).
  • How much light is this flytrap getting?
For lighting,
it gets around 12+ hours of light everyday.

the soil is uh.. very wet. because i was (for some reason) paranoid it was gonna die because the leaf looked dry (and felt dry)

for the water,
around 2 months ago i used tap water ( but its distilled). could be the reason why its green at the middle. then i found “pure drinking water” basically it was distilled water (i hope it is) i checked the label thing. no minerals or whatever. so that is the water i used.
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:22 am also i found this insect drowning in the water tray for my vft. had to save it because yes.
MikeB wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:15 pm
It looks like flytrap food to me. :D
yea i guess the food’s gone. it somehow escaped :lol:
By Wutihbe
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am
for the water,
around 2 months ago i used tap water ( but its distilled). could be the reason why its green at the middle. then i found “pure drinking water” basically it was distilled water (i hope it is) i checked the label thing. no minerals or whatever. so that is the water i used.
this is the entire bottle of (possibly) distilled water.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2128 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2128 times
By MikeB
Wutihbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:42 pm
Wutihbe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:20 am
for the water,
this is the entire bottle of (possibly) distilled water.
This is my main concern. Often, bottled drinking water has "minerals added for taste". A Venus flytrap will not be happy with this water. The odd color of your plant's leaves leads me to think that it may be suffering from mineral poisoning. Can you find distilled or RO (reverse osmosis) water in Singapore? Many stores sell it for use in irons, dehumidifiers, car batteries, etc., and it's relatively inexpensive. Better yet, clean rainwater works fine, and it's free (and abundant in Singapore).

My recommendations:
  • Buy/make new soil for the plant. If you use peat moss, be sure it's thoroughly damp before using it.
  • Unpot the plant, rinse off the roots, and let the plant soak in low-mineral water for half an hour.
  • Plant it in fresh soil.
  • Keep the soil damp but not soggy-wet.
Panman liked this
By thepitchergrower
Perhaps check your tap waters TDS. I know Singapore has the new water system, where water is reused and recycled. I do not know what kind of filtration they use, but if they use RO, your tap water may be safe for CPs.
By Wutihbe
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:36 pm Perhaps check your tap waters TDS. I know Singapore has the new water system, where water is reused and recycled. I do not know what kind of filtration they use, but if they use RO, your tap water may be safe for CPs.
well as someone who has seen the entire filtration process before, there is alot of filtration processes. one includes reverse osmosis.
but the thing is idk how to check water TDS

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!