FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By tommyr
A few of mine waking from slumber! Soon to be acclimated to their outside spot.

michijake, Panman, za419 and 5 others liked this
By Apollyon
Very cool. My "tall" plants are just now starting to put up taller traps. They've been growing low since the season began. About how long do yours do it after you change the photoperiod?
By tommyr
Apollyon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:31 pm Very cool. My "tall" plants are just now starting to put up taller traps. They've been growing low since the season began. About how long do yours do it after you change the photoperiod?
About a month or so. I do fridge dormancy starting in mid October and start taking them out and repotting in the beginning of February. Been doing that for 14 years now and it works great.

This will be the last year I use LFSM, it's a PITA to remove.
By plantnerdjules
tommyr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:02 pm About a month or so. I do fridge dormancy starting in mid October and start taking them out and repotting in the beginning of February. Been doing that for 14 years now and it works great.

I'm interested to know, when you stop using LFSM, what media will you use?
By tommyr
plantnerdjules wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:37 am
tommyr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:02 pm About a month or so. I do fridge dormancy starting in mid October and start taking them out and repotting in the beginning of February. Been doing that for 14 years now and it works great.

I'm interested to know, when you stop using LFSM, what media will you use?
The standard CP mix of 50% peat moss and 50% perlite.
By Panman
There is a definite trade-off in using peat/perlite versus sphagnum. The peat/perlite is easier to bare root the plants for repotting. I find that the flytraps grow better in the sphagnum. Personally, I hate the way perlite floats to the surface even with a top layer of sphagnum. I'll spend my time picking it out of the roots if necessary.
By tommyr
Panman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:13 pm There is a definite trade-off in using peat/perlite versus sphagnum. The peat/perlite is easier to bare root the plants for repotting. I find that the flytraps grow better in the sphagnum. Personally, I hate the way perlite floats to the surface even with a top layer of sphagnum. I'll spend my time picking it out of the roots if necessary.
I find it MUCH easier to remove peat/perlite, a small squeeze and it basically just about all falls off. LFSM you have to be REALLY careful or you risk damaging/breaking the roots.

And I still don't understand why people say the perlite "Floats to the top". Any perlite below soil level will stay there, the stuff on top may "float" but so what? I have zero issues with it and and never have in the 20 + years I've been growing these things.
By NightRaider
tommyr wrote:And I still don't understand why people say the perlite "Floats to the top". Any perlite below soil level will stay there, the stuff on top may "float" but so what? I have zero issues with it and and never have in the 20 + years I've been growing these things.
That's simply not true in my experience. Of my 3 outdoor planters that I used peat/perlite with (that have drain holes 3-4 inches below the soil level), all 3 had at least some perlite rising to the surface OVER the lfs top dressing within a few heavy rains. I doubt it's a problem if you bottom-water with a low water level but it absolutely happens when top-watering.
Panman liked this
By tommyr
NightRaider wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:16 pm
tommyr wrote:And I still don't understand why people say the perlite "Floats to the top". Any perlite below soil level will stay there, the stuff on top may "float" but so what? I have zero issues with it and and never have in the 20 + years I've been growing these things.
That's simply not true in my experience. Of my 3 outdoor planters that I used peat/perlite with (that have drain holes 3-4 inches below the soil level), all 3 had at least some perlite rising to the surface OVER the lfs top dressing within a few heavy rains. I doubt it's a problem if you bottom-water with a low water level but it absolutely happens when top-watering.
Well you're using LFS on top so that's a bit different, I'm talking straight peat and perlite. I've never seen this "issue".
By Apollyon
Perlite seems to bring itself to the top whenever youre hit with really heavy rain or your can is too strong. it isnt a dealbreaker for me but its kind of annoying. Seems to happen more when you have more ingredients. Peat probably binds it well. I add sand to mine.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!