FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jaker00
Hello! I have been looking into something that will make tap water good for CPs and humidifiers (because tap water pollutes the air) and I came across a water distiller, but it is somewhat pricy, but then I came across an old thread about the "Zero Water" filters, and people said it works for carnivorous plants, but I just wanted to ask and see if anyone still currently uses one for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

By optique
"Zero Water" filters work great, but if your tap's TDS is really high it may not be cost effective. My tap is 24 TDS and the "Zero Water" filter last so long.
By tommyr
The Zero water filter works just fine, I got one just for goofs and as a backup plan and like it. I got a 20 cup version. Brand new takes about 15 minutes to make 1 1/4 gallon. Of course the harder your water is the sooner you will have to replace the filter. But you can use up to 100ppm water IF you repot yearly according to California Carnivores. I use up to 50ppm at most IF I have to. Fortunately we get enough rain here that I hardly ever run out. Especially in the last year. And we're getting hammered with a lot of rain in the N.E. the past 2 weeks again. It sucks.
By ChefDean
Jaker00 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:43 am(because tap water pollutes the air) and I came across a water distiller, but it is somewhat pricy, but then I came across an old thread about the "Zero Water" filters,
I did some research and couldn't find anything to support this unless the water is already contaminated and shouldn't be drunk anyway.
Also, wouldn't the manufacture of a water pitcher and subsequent filters cause air pollution? Then possibly contaminate the environment in other ways when they're discarded?
Plus, wouldn't the manufacture and use of a water distiller pollute the air even more? It runs on electricity, which is mostly generated by some form of fossil fuel combustion.
Not trying to hijack the thread or bust your chops, but I'm just trying to ascertain what you mean by "tap water pollutes the air".
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:51 pm It runs on electricity, which is mostly generated by some form of fossil fuel combustion.
Not here, we get our electricity from hydroelectric dams. So I don't need to worry about affecting the environment through electricity usage. :)
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:54 pm
ChefDean wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:51 pm It runs on electricity, which is mostly generated by some form of fossil fuel combustion.
Not here, we get our electricity from hydroelectric dams. So I don't need to worry about affecting the environment through electricity usage. :)
Hence the word "mostly", because there are other sources commonly available.
However, according to Grant PUD and the State of Washington, you're getting almost 25% of your power from fossil fuels. Over 10% from coal alone.
thepitchergrower liked this
By Jaker00
ChefDean wrote:
Jaker00 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:43 am(because tap water pollutes the air) and I came across a water distiller, but it is somewhat pricy, but then I came across an old thread about the "Zero Water" filters,
I did some research and couldn't find anything to support this unless the water is already contaminated and shouldn't be drunk anyway.
Also, wouldn't the manufacture of a water pitcher and subsequent filters cause air pollution? Then possibly contaminate the environment in other ways when they're discarded?
Plus, wouldn't the manufacture and use of a water distiller pollute the air even more? It runs on electricity, which is mostly generated by some form of fossil fuel combustion.
Not trying to hijack the thread or bust your chops, but I'm just trying to ascertain what you mean by "tap water pollutes the air".
What I mean is that when it is turned into mist, it carries anything that's in the water with it, so it can cause issues if you breathe it in, not on a large scale, but in a closed room it could cause serious issues because your lungs can get rid of the water in the air but not any chlorine or other chemicals/minerals in the water.

By thepitchergrower
I still don't understand. From my understanding, when water evaporates, it leaves behind any organic compounds, metals, chemicals, etc. :?: :?
By Jaker00
thepitchergrower wrote:I still don't understand. From my understanding, when water evaporates, it leaves behind any organic compounds, metals, chemicals, etc. :?: :?
Cool mist humidifiers work by vibrating the water so fast it breaks into tiny pieces and can be carried by air, so unfortunately it doesn't leave anything behind.

By TrapsAndDews
Jaker00 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:11 pm Cool mist humidifiers work by vibrating the water so fast it breaks into tiny pieces and can be carried by air, so unfortunately it doesn't leave anything behind.

True, but that however isn't considered evaporation. (That's also why they say to use distilled water for those.)
By hungarianscooter
I have Zero Water. It's pretty good, and I don't have any remarks. Water pollution is one of the biggest problems on our planet, so your decision to distill water is correct. I've been learning this question for a long time, and I even wrote some papers about it here, you can read it I you want to. By the way, my father freezes the water and then unfreezes it. After it, he strains the water through gauze. Only after it he can drink.
By TrapsAndDews
hungarianscooter wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:01 am I have Zero Water. It's pretty good, and I don't have any remarks. Water pollution is one of the biggest problems on our planet, so your decision to distill water is correct. I've been learning this question for a long time, and I even wrote some papers about it here, you can read it I you want to. By the way, my father freezes the water and then unfreezes it. After it, he strains the water through gauze. Only after it he can drink.
Then there's me, who will just use a garden hose for drinking.
Panman, Intheswamp liked this
By -Stanley-
TrapsAndDews wrote: Then there's me, who will just use a garden hose for drinking.
Really? I thought I was the only person who did that.
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!