FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By felinefancier87
Hi,

I'm looking for some live sphagnum moss for venus fly traps (for keeping them indoors). I'm in Canada and want to find a suitable source. Brad's Greenhouse has it but is out of stock. I found some options on eBay but don't know what's most suitable: gummy bear, golden, purple, chocolate mint, fringed, or palustre.

Anyone know which live sphagnum moss varieties are most suitable or know some good sources within Canada not mentioned?
By MikeB
With smaller plants like flytraps, I recommend using a compact species of sphagnum moss (if you can find it). The loose, "fluffy" types tend to form deep mounds which will quickly swamp smaller plants.

I looked at the sphagnum moss auctions on eBay Canada. They're pricey for what you're getting, considering how common sphagnum moss is in your country. I would go with the Live Purple Sphagnum Moss. It's the least expensive, has nice color, and "can be placed on slightly drier pitches" (should work better with flytraps, since they like to be damp but not soggy-wet).
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!