FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By CaptainMalnacido
Greetings, i have some questions regarding paint coating, i currently live on a relatively hot area of Mexico, depiste having shade cloth im getting some plants overheated because i have them on dark brown pots, so i considered to put some white paint coat, what kind of coat should look for? can i be able to coat the pots with the plants potted or shall umpot for the process? https://postimg.cc/rKqkf2LZ Image
i currently use some styrfoam platings onto the pots but im afraid they may decay soon eventually so i wanted a more futureproof solution. I used styrfoam cups in the past too but im unsure if would be wise to repot on such heat spring. I have currently 32c during the day on average and my plants recive around 7h durect sunlight with 3 under 70% black shade cloth on the hottest hours, which it seems not enough. Thanks for the help!
By optique
the paint i have been using is called "Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X" its sold at the big chain stores. I mainly use it to UV proof my water treys. if you are painting a smooth plastic surface be sure to scuff it so the paint will stick better. I use a scotch brite pad.
By ChefDean
Or you can repot them back into the styrofoam cups like you used to have.
Yes, there will be a little stress on the plant. But, if you can slip it out of its pot and slip it right into the cup, there should only be minimal stress.
If you go the paint route, just cover the plant and moss with a bag or saran wrap to protect them from chemicals. Otherwise you should be fine.
CaptainMalnacido liked this
By specialkayme
White pots might suit you well, and is probably the best option https://www.nehydro.com/square-white-nursery-pot-5-x-7/

Aside from that, a good white spray paint that adheres to most plastics may work (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-FUSION- ... 1000460295). It's worked for me in other agricultural contexts, but I don't know about CPs.

It may serve you well to make sure a white coating covers the soil as well. A grow lid (https://hydrobuilder.com/div-div-div.ht ... IxODY4NyJ9) or a good layer of white perlite may help.

I would think wrapping them in Styrofoam is not an ideal situation. Yes it gives it a white reflective material, but it adds insulation.
CaptainMalnacido liked this
By ChefDean
The insulation is the point. It creates a barrier between the plant and the 90°F outside. There will be some heat bleed through, but, since heat rises, it will not stick around. Even a white plastic pot will conduct more heat directly into the media due to its thinner walls that aren't insulated.
By MikeB
Another possible solution (from one of the forum members who lives in Spain, can't remember his name at the moment): wrap aluminum foil around the pot. It will reflect the sunlight and shade the pot.
ChefDean, Apollyon, tommyr liked this
By Apollyon
Really, any of the above options sound good. They all have their merits. My only concern with painting them would be water breaking the paint down over time so I'd try to seal it if it were me unless you're top watering. I like the zeer pot idea but unfortunately unless you plan to create a large bog-like container it'll take up a lot of space but I do know a guy who was able to drop the temp 10-15 degrees or so by doing it. He used silica sand and rocks to draw out the heat with an outer container made of terracotta. Search Triple Zeer Pot on youtube, he made a video. Foil would be by far the most cost effective but I'd wrap it to about where you intend to keep the water table and have lighter water trays to hold the water. Hydropots are great but unfortunately they're pricey for what they are. I've traded for several of them and keep my "collection" plants in them and they do well with the depth. Good luck!
ChefDean, Supercazzola liked this
By CaptainMalnacido
Thank you so much for the replies! so far i opted for the paint method. I got some oil based white paint from locally. Im quite pleased with the results, the pots doesnt even feel warm at touch. Hopefully i will have less issue with overheating roots. Thanks again!
Image https://postimg.cc/Xrtmn3VK
ChefDean liked this
By Intheswamp
optique wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:27 pm the paint i have been using is called "Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X" its sold at the big chain stores. I mainly use it to UV proof my water treys. if you are painting a smooth plastic surface be sure to scuff it so the paint will stick better. I use a scotch brite pad.
A bit of a dated thread but...that ain't ever stopped me from replying! :lol:

optique, I've used the RO 2X paint on outdoor planters in the past, mostly on self-watering containers made from totes. It has done well. What I'm wondering about is how it holds up continuously submerged in water trays. I'd like to use it as you do, for UV-protection for water trays, but also for UV-proofing some pots that would stand in the trays. I'm just a tad hesitant due to the possibility of chemicals from the paint leaching into the water. Your plants still doing good in the painted trays?
By optique
it will not hold up well under water or on area's that flex a lot. It makes the cheap tubs last years so i am happy with it. Yeah it has no effect on my plants.
By Intheswamp
Thanks, I take it that you're spraying only the outsides of the water trays then...? What about your recycled flower pots, some of your examples that I've seen looked painted all the way to the bottom (outside)?
By optique
@Intheswamp, I spray the inside walls down to the water line of treys. Thick plastic pots hold up well on the area's that are not wet 24/7
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!