FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
hollyhock wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:55 pm
Adelae wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 pm
hollyhock wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:36 pm
This actually is one of the most original and creative things I have seen yet. So simple yet so much time and energy to go to a zoo? For a picture, for a giveaway? I hope the prize is worth it :D. Everyone asks about a 500 point bonus. Well indeed you have earned it. Way to go and rock my socks off. And BTW. Zebra are my absolute favorite animal. 500 point bonus.
Holy moly, thank you! :o
(Though to be fair, I do live like...three blocks from a zoo)
This giveaway has been a great source of little fun moments during my busiest month of thesis writing, so thanks for putting it on! Glad I could finally put all my energy into a neat one at the end.

Can't wait to see the rest of the Z pics. I was pretty far behind so I'm pretty sure it's still anyone's game.
Check this out. Tell me what you see?
Shadow zebras?
By hollyhock
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:43 pm That was an amazingly creative entry. :D

Here's my entry. Now, a few months back, I was able to visit Zion National park. A hot dry place that's literally a desert. I had the opportunity to take a 6 hour hike up the Watchman trail. A steep rocky trail lined with various species of cacti and other desert shrubs. After a few hours in the hot sun, I finally made it up to the very top! It is a bit of a scary cliff with a sudden drop off.
Here's my own photo of the view up there, with some Aeonium 'Zwartkop' hybrids attempted photoshopped in. Including Zwartkop itself, and one of the hybrids named Zwartkin. It also includes Simsii x Zwartkop, undulatum x Zwartkop, canariense x Zwartkop. :D
Well that's a very worthy and beautiful post too. What a great adventure. Seems dangerous just to get a picture. It's a beautiful entry. I know +100 bonus doesn't seem like much. But I am the judge and you had this one from another day. This contest to me was more about what you did for the contest. But stay tuned. Still the twist at the end. :lol:
thepitchergrower liked this
By hollyhock
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:57 pm
hollyhock wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:55 pm
Adelae wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 pm

Holy moly, thank you! :o
(Though to be fair, I do live like...three blocks from a zoo)
This giveaway has been a great source of little fun moments during my busiest month of thesis writing, so thanks for putting it on! Glad I could finally put all my energy into a neat one at the end.

Can't wait to see the rest of the Z pics. I was pretty far behind so I'm pretty sure it's still anyone's game.
Check this out. Tell me what you see?
Shadow zebras?
Yes. One of the most interesting pictures I've seen lately on FB
thepitchergrower liked this
By thepitchergrower
I know I won't be able to win. Can't wait to hear the twist. But, I just wanted to say thank you for this giveaway. It was fun taking pictures of my plants and getting to see other's plants. And talking with others. :D
hollyhock liked this
By plantnerdjules
For Z-day I offer you Trichodesma zeylanicum, a small plant for a big Zelebration at the Zenith of Hollyhock's fabulous ABC giveaway game.

Huge thanks to Hollyhock and everyone who was part of this Amazing A to Z journey :lol:

(I took the background photo a while ago, when Trichodesma zeylanicum was flowering abundantly. I was lucky to find a single flower for the inset photo today.)
Attachments:
trichodesma_zeylanicum_plantnerdjules.jpg
trichodesma_zeylanicum_plantnerdjules.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2583 times
hollyhock, elaineo, Adelae liked this
By hollyhock
plantnerdjules wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pm For Z-day I offer you Trichodesma zeylanicum, a small plant for a big Zelebration at the Zenith of Hollyhock's fabulous ABC giveaway game.

Huge thanks to Hollyhock and everyone who was part of this Amazing A to Z journey :lol:

(I took the background photo a while ago, when Trichodesma zeylanicum was flowering abundantly. I was lucky to find a single flower for the inset photo today.)
Truly the effort and plants you have shared are wonderful and worthy of a win. I really appreciate you taking time to play and show me so many unique plants. And I love gumby guy. Thanks so much bonus +200. :D
plantnerdjules, Adelae liked this
By DragonsEye
hollyhock wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:05 pmSeems are top 2 competitors are waiting each other out :lol:
Nah. Just got home from work.
hollyhock liked this
By DragonsEye
Zowie! (For you young whipper-snappers out there, that’s old folks' speak for "Wow!”) So ending on a more light-hearted note:

There once was a Huernia zebrina
Whose flowers were cherished in a Star Wars's cantina.
A galactic dance was held to claim it as prize.
For weeks, competitors boogied with hungry eyes.’
Only to be beaten by a droid -- dancing the Macarena.
One of my favorite flowers. Sorry for the delay. Having tech probs at this end.
Huernia zebrina 2.jpeg
Huernia zebrina 2.jpeg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

Huernia zebrina interior.jpeg
Huernia zebrina interior.jpeg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
But as an apology for the delay ... one last Boggle. Can you figure out what word I want you to find? (I don't actually own a Boggle so hopefully this will still be adequate):
Zboggle.jpeg
Zboggle.jpeg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Panman, Adelae, elaineo liked this
By madrone
I knew I'd love Z-day - look at all these cool entries!!

I gathered up all the Z botanical matter that I have in the house (I think). A couple ZZ plant book ends to my favorite pinguicula (don't tell the others). Left to right:
ZZ.jpg
ZZ.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 2520 times
  • ZZ raven - almost black mature foliage that is stunningly contrasted by spring green colored new growth, which slowly morphs to almost-black. A very fun plant to watch as it transitions!
  • P. zecheri - the leaves, the LARGE flowers (they almost resemble streptocarpus flowers, ping-style, of course)
  • And my mature 'typical' ZZ that I've had for ~12 years
Another reason I 've been looking forward to Z-day, and my last Z-trivia, is that my sometimes-family-nickname was "Z" because of a z-shaped birthmark.

This has been a really engaging, inventive giveaway - hollyhock, you have quite the reputation as the giveaway queen, but dang! Thanks for hostess-ing this wild ride!
Panman, DragonsEye, hollyhock and 1 others liked this
By DragonsEye
madrone wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:20 am
  • P. zecheri - the leaves, the LARGE flowers (they almost resemble streptocarpus flowers, ping-style, of course)
Nice! I may have to try to bum a leaf off you someday. :mrgreen:
madrone liked this
By TrapsAndDews
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Attachments:
0B4D5B57-C8A8-4C73-9A89-A14E019E4A2E.jpeg
0B4D5B57-C8A8-4C73-9A89-A14E019E4A2E.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2482 times
hollyhock liked this
By TrapsAndDews
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:44 am Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
There are 500 "Z"s. (just sayin 8-))
By hollyhock
DragonsEye wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:32 am Zowie! (For you young whipper-snappers out there, that’s old folks' speak for "Wow!”) So ending on a more light-hearted note:

There once was a Huernia zebrina
Whose flowers were cherished in a Star Wars's cantina.
A galactic dance was held to claim it as prize.
For weeks, competitors boogied with hungry eyes.’
Only to be beaten by a droid -- dancing the Macarena.
One of my favorite flowers. Sorry for the delay. Having tech probs at this end.

Huernia zebrina 2.jpeg

Huernia zebrina interior.jpeg

But as an apology for the delay ... one last Boggle. Can you figure out what word I want you to find? (I don't actually own a Boggle so hopefully this will still be adequate):

Zboggle.jpeg
That is quite an extraordinary flower. And you stumped me on boggle. :?:
I award you +100 bonus points
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!