FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Lee Robertson
Hi All, I am an absolute novice. I grew several flytraps from seeds and media I bought from The FlytrapStore. Everything went well. I got 6 adult plants from 40 seeds. They did great the first three years, but this year the new leaves are very broad, the flower stalk came out super early, and is corkscrewed. The traps look normal. Does anyone know what is going on???? The second photo is a side shoot i separated from the plant in the first photo back in September. The new plant did not go through dormancy this year. All six plants are behaving this way.
Attachments:
Original plant - just came out of dormancy
Original plant - just came out of dormancy
IMG_3059.JPEG (791.39 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Child of the original plant - did not go thro
Child of the original plant - did not go thro
IMG_3058.JPEG (752.56 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
By Panman
A couple of things. Have you repotted them? The soil could be old. Plus, they look like they may be planted a bit too deeply. Over time many flytraps grow deeper in the soil. That is why I repot every 2 years. They get fresh soil and proper depth.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
First things first, good job on getting adult plants from seeds as a novice! It can be pretty hard to grow flytraps from seed even for more experienced growers.

I don't really see much of a problem with the red plant, it looks healthy to me. The green plant just looks like it needs more light but is still not that bad looking.

I agree with Panman if they've been in that same medium for three years or so it's time to repot. Sometimes if the soil is old the plants will start putting out funky growth. Luckily it's in a peat perlite mix and not sphagnum otherwise it would take like 2 hours :lol:
By za419
TrapsAndDews wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 pm
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:14 pm Luckily it's in a peat perlite mix and not sphagnum otherwise it would take like 2 hours :lol:
I though it was the other way around. :?
Depends - do you have a good spray to wash peat off your roots, or are you picking it off?

If you can wash it off it's super quick, but trying to separate roots from anything manually sucks. It's just you can't rinse off LFSM...
By TrapsAndDews
Oh wait, I thought you were comparing how often you need to repot. I thought you were making an exaggeration that you need to repot every 2 hours if you use sphagnum. I just misunderstood. :?
za419 liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!