FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

Species name for Nepenthes #3172?

N. maculosa (suggested by rrrt)
No votes
0%
N. grandis (suggested by berrybob)
20%
N. cuprum
80%
N. strenuus
No votes
0%
By That one plant boi
Hello all!

So sometime last year I made a post asking for species name suggestions for this plant. The post wasn't all that popular, but I did get two good suggestions, and I went ahead and added two of my own fitting names.
I wanted this to be a decision the community could make together, so I made a pole with the few options so that you guys can vote for your favorite name.

Of course I know the name won't be official, but since whoever is in charge of describing and naming species is taking their sweet time, I thought we could go ahead and give this plant some recognition anyway. Also because I'm just tired of going through my plant collection by name and stopping at this guy and asking, "who's this again?" :)

So anyway, obviously the most voted name wins and will be attributed to this species. All names are in Latin. Pole will last for ONE week.
MACULOSA, meaning spotted or speckled (since the pitchers have such lovely spotting)
GRANDIS, meaning large or grown (since the species gets quite large)
CUPRUM, meaning copper (since the upper portions of the pitchers have light copper coloration)
STRENUUS, meaning vigorous (since I've observed that the pitchers tend grow quickly and mature faster than any of my other plants)

If you have any other suggestions, make sure to let me know quickly so that I can update the pole (if possible). Of course any questions are welcomed too.

Posted a couple photos as well in case you want to infer names based on appearance, or if you're simply curious. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By TrapsAndDews
That one plant boi wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:07 pm If you have any other suggestions, make sure to let me know quickly so that I can update the pole (if possible). Of course any questions are welcomed too.
How did you get a plant with no name? Was it recently discovered?
By That one plant boi
TrapsAndDews wrote:
That one plant boi wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:07 pm If you have any other suggestions, make sure to let me know quickly so that I can update the pole (if possible). Of course any questions are welcomed too.
How did you get a plant with no name? Was it recently discovered?
I got this plant a few years ago, but the species is still undescribed, meaning it hasn't been given a species name yet. It's been that way for a while and hasn't gotten much attention yet :(

By TrapsAndDews
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 pm I think that Grandis is the best option as it does appear to be quite large.
Yeah, but there are other nepenthes species that are quite large. I personally think that "cuprum" would be the best because the tops of the pitchers actually appear to have a copper color. :)
thepitchergrower liked this
By thepitchergrower
TrapsAndDews wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:48 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 pm I think that Grandis is the best option as it does appear to be quite large.
Yeah, but there are other nepenthes species that are quite large. I personally think that "cuprum" would be the best because the tops of the pitchers actually appear to have a copper color. :)
I agree. :?
By TrapsAndDews
WORMSS wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:43 pm I presume Pitchy McPitchFace is not available for consideration?
Unless you are able to translate it to latin :), because I don't think scientists would enjoy calling it Nepenthes Pitchy McPitchFace. :?
By That one plant boi
WORMSS wrote:
TrapsAndDews wrote:
WORMSS wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:43 pm I presume Pitchy McPitchFace is not available for consideration?
Unless you are able to translate it to latin. :)
Vox populi ad nauseam
Pitchy Mcpitcherface is CERTAINLY up for consideration, especially since you were able to translate it!

I think (Voxpopuliadnauseam?) Would make for a very interesting and unique name, if pronounced correctly lol.

By WORMSS
That one plant boi wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:59 am
WORMSS wrote:
TrapsAndDews wrote: Unless you are able to translate it to latin. :)
Vox populi ad nauseam
Pitchy Mcpitcherface is CERTAINLY up for consideration, especially since you were able to translate it!

I think (Voxpopuliadnauseam?) Would make for a very interesting and unique name, if pronounced correctly lol.

Think it super roughly translates to
"The majority agrees it's been done too much and now it's annoying"
By That one plant boi
WORMSS wrote:
That one plant boi wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:59 am
WORMSS wrote: Vox populi ad nauseam

Think it super roughly translates to
"The majority agrees it's been done too much and now it's annoying"
True lol

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!