FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Well, it has finally happened. My collection has exceeded my ability to schlep in enough low TDS water everything. I do, however, sit on the edge of a lake that does measure very low TDS. I have used it short term, watering a few times with no ill effect, and I would expect that this is fine to use long term for the plants. Does anyone use lake water for their plants? For the same price as an RO system, I can get a transfer pump and have unlimited water available.

Any thoughts?
By ChefDean
With lake water, you just want to be careful that you're not introducing any bad microbes or pathogens to your plants.
Plus, you might want to check local laws with Georgia Fish and Game. Some places don't allow you to collect water to use somewhere else in order to prevent the spread of the aforementioned baddies or crustaceans. If they do allow the collection, they may not allow a pump to be used. If it's private, just make sure you have landowner permission, then worry about baddies.
Option B: Create a rain collection system. Plenty of examples if you google them.
steve booth liked this
By MikeB
As long as the lake water has a low TDS and isn't contaminated with fertilizer and/or herbicide runoff from the surrounding property, it should be perfectly fine. You want to put the water intake on a float (with a mesh cover) so it doesn't suck up gunk off the bottom.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!