FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I noticed today that my sarracenia flava seeds were frozen in the fridge. I have moved them to a different spot in the fridge. Will the seeds survive freezing?
By ChefDean
Well, they sometimes freeze in nature, and I've been told that it doesn't affect them. However, I have not ever had frozen seeds germinate, but I also don't have the greatest track record with seeds.
Move them so they thaw and continue the strat. Sow them as you normally would and see what happens.
By thepitchergrower
What temperature is your fridge set to? Seems like everything you put in it freezes...........
By WONE
I just germinated my very first batch and had a few containers freeze in the fridge due to being too close to the rear. I moved them all to the door storage.

All my containers are germinating, but I will say the frozen ones are a little slower or some of the seeds died from being frozen.

Sad to say the Phil faulsi pricier seed crosses were the ones to get frosted 😭
By TrapsAndDews
Ok, I'll see what happens. At least it wasn't the Judith Hindle seeds (which were right next to the flava seeds, but thankfully not frozen) I don't have many of those, but lots of flava seeds.
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:28 am What temperature is your fridge set to? Seems like everything you put in it freezes...........
I just put the seeds right by the ice maker. :? They're moved now.
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:49 pm The ice maker is in your freezer not your fridge?!? :?
Many newer fridges have the fridge on top and the freezer on the bottom, and they also have the ice and water dispenser in the door. In order for the ice to be dispensed, it must either be transported up, or pushed out down a chute. Easier to push it down a chute, so the icemaker is actually in the top part of the fridge. It's usually not insulated too well, so the area right around the ice maker is usually a few degrees colder.
By Ewreck
I just read this on the ICPS website carnivorousplants.org

It is OK for the pots to freeze as long as the seeds have not germinated. However, the time frozen does not count toward the four weeks.
Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!