FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I am starting to get at least 3 different kinds of mold on my sarr seeds that are finally sprouting. I see some that is kind of teal colored, a grey form, and some that looks like little strands of cotton. I have tried hydrogen peroxide but it didn’t seem to do anything and neem spray hasn’t helped either. So I am going to get some actual sulfur fungicide to try that. I’ve seen in other posts that captains(I think Bonide is the brand that makes captains?) is a good brand. In another post supercazzola linked what he used but it was out of stock. I found this bonide one(ingredients listed says 90% sulfur) at the tractor supply company which is close enough for me to walk to so I am wondering what everyone’s opinion on this product and if you could post a pic of the bottle or brand you would suggest getting. Thanks for your time and help as always
Attachments:
15C45706-D627-4E63-9A60-33F990E7CE83.png
15C45706-D627-4E63-9A60-33F990E7CE83.png (5.48 MiB) Viewed 7250 times
By optique
i have used the Bonide liquid with good results
By evenwind
Before you go to sulfur, why not try a cinnamon spray? It's a lot better for the environment.
By Ewreck
Ok how much cinnamon would you recommend I mix in like a gallon or half gallon? I doubt I need a whole gallon but whatever size makes it easy to measure. It should kill on contact ?

Edit: I was just researching using cinnamon on plants and I had no idea it did so many different things for them. You can use it as mold/fungicide and even as a rooting hormone. Also helps heal wounds. Interesting.
By evenwind
I've been trying to remember the exact amounts I've used, but a quick ckeck on Google came up with this:
Mix 4 tablespoons to a half-gallon of water.
Shake it vigorously and let it sit for a few hours.
Strain the liquid through a sieve or coffee filter.
Put the remaining liquid into a spray bottle.

As I recall, I used 1/4 teaspoon in an empty 500ml Poland Spring water bottle, shook it up a couple of times and let it sit overnight. I put a funnel in the empty spray bottle, put a coffee filter in the funnel and poured the cinnamon tea in. (The coffee filter without the funnel around it makes a nice mess on the counter top.)
By Ewreck
Is the filtering part just so it doesn’t clog your spray bottle? The info I read they just sprinkled cinnamon on top of the soil but I think I would rather spray it on to get an even coat.
By evenwind
Sure, the filtering prevents clogs. And using a spray bottle, as you said, gives a much better distribution of the cinnamon. I've tried hand sprinkling but have never been able to get an even coating - there's always clumps and bare areas.
Ewreck liked this
By Ewreck
Cool I am definitely gonna try this. Saved me money and a trip to the store plus it’s better for the environment, sign me up lol thanks for your time and the help
By evenwind
No problem. Good luck!
By Ewreck
So I did the cinnamon spray thing and it appears to have worked for the most part. Some of the mold seems to keep coming back on some of the sarr seeds but I just spray it again and it seems to kill it again. I take the lid off the container once every day, but now I’m thinking maybe I should leave the lid cracked a little maybe? There is only a few sprouts for the most part still a few that haven’t popped yet. I should have sterilized them somehow before I stratified but now I know lol. Thanks for the tip.
evenwind liked this
By Dragonslayer126
Ewreck wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:24 pm I am starting to get at least 3 different kinds of mold on my sarr seeds that are finally sprouting. I see some that is kind of teal colored, a grey form, and some that looks like little strands of cotton. I have tried hydrogen peroxide but it didn’t seem to do anything and neem spray hasn’t helped either. So I am going to get some actual sulfur fungicide to try that. I’ve seen in other posts that captains(I think Bonide is the brand that makes captains?) is a good brand. In another post supercazzola linked what he used but it was out of stock. I found this bonide one(ingredients listed says 90% sulfur) at the tractor supply company which is close enough for me to walk to so I am wondering what everyone’s opinion on this product and if you could post a pic of the bottle or brand you would suggest getting. Thanks for your time and help as always
I just use the brand "Safer" sulfur based fungicide and my plants are fine.
Ewreck liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!