FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
OK. I need to hear why you should get this plant. It's a baby nepenthes bicalcarta. You know the one with fangs? :lol:
Anyway I don't have the proper conditions to make it happy. So you must be able to tell me that you are able to grow this baby in proper environment. Read up on it first. Then decide if it's a plant you feel that you can provide the best home.
Don't be impulsive because it's a cool plant. Learn from me. I have bought expensive plants only to have them suffer and yes sometimes die. I'm not perfect. But what I have learned in 7+ years is to go with plants that fit my grow areas. Lowland nepenthes are not a good fit for me. So consider everything and then write a paragraph about why you would be the best parent to this little one. And I definitely can't send it until we warm up in Michigan. Winning essay and winner agrees to $10 shipping
Attachments:
20220315_142924.jpg
20220315_142924.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3187 times
By Hang
You said "why you should get this plant"

Me: "Yeah i shouldn't get this plant, i have no idea how to care for them lol"
Don't count me on this one :P
hollyhock liked this
By hollyhock
Hang94 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:22 pm You said "why you should get this plant"

Me: "Yeah i shouldn't get this plant, i have no idea how to care for them lol"
Don't count me on this one :P
And this is exactly an honest answer. Thank you for this. Message me and I will send you something on me. That will fit your growing environment :D
Would you like a drosera Hercules?
Hang liked this
By hollyhock
Carnies wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm Wish I still grew nepenthes and had the space to grow them!
I reduced my selection a lot. But I recently purchased a few ventricosa hybrids. Easy peasy. And so beautiful with the hourglass pitchers. Probably my favorite type.
By ChefDean
Very awesome offering. I think it would like Tennessee for the most part, but I don't know how well it would limp through the winter. Hanging space isn't an issue, but I'm probably too far north for its comfort.
hollyhock liked this
By hollyhock
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:36 pm Very awesome offering. I think it would like Tennessee for the most part, but I don't know how well it would limp through the winter. Hanging space isn't an issue, but I'm probably too far north for its comfort.
Thanks for your response chef. It means a lot to me that you participate in my posts. And yes I have grown big beautiful bicalcarta. But they definitely need more than I'm willing to provide. Even hot house drosera like d.falconeri I had to part with because they were so unhappy :cry:
By NightRaider
ChefDean wrote:Very awesome offering. I think it would like Tennessee for the most part, but I don't know how well it would limp through the winter. Hanging space isn't an issue, but I'm probably too far north for its comfort.
Exactly my thinking, I've been eyeballing a bical for over a year now but I think we're just a zone or two too far up or a decade or two of warming too early. I'm hoping this time next year I'll have a lowland chamber built so I can start working on petiolaris (and by petiolaris I mean D. falconeri), so once that's done I'll probably grab one of Kenny Coogan's.
hollyhock liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I usually don't get something unless I research it. I also don't enter giveaways if I don't know how to grow it. There's really no point in getting a plant you can't take care of and having it die. You'd just be taking away the opportunity from someone who does know how to grow it. :?
hollyhock liked this
By Adelae
I've got a "lowland setup" that consists of a $2 plastic punch bowl/lid on top of a seedling mat set to 75F. It's perfect for a young bical!

...But I know it's perfect because I already have a young bical in there, so I'm not actually entering the giveaway.

(One day soon it will outgrow the punch bowl, but that's a problem for future me)
By plantnerdjules
Awesome plant, awesome opportunity for someone, hollyhock your generosity is beyond awesome!

Actually I could give it tropical lowland conditions plus TLC, and I'd love to do so :)

... but I know you can't ship it internationally :(
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!