FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I personally own a Yescom 225 White Full Spectrum growlight, as recommended by people in the community, to hang over my indoor growing plants, and I've always recommended it to others. However, recently I've noticed that Amazon doesn't seem to carry the white version any more.

I personally don't need anymore growlights, but if I'm suggesting growlights to others, what's a good substitute in lieu of the White LED Yescoms? Are the Red/Blue, White/Blue, and White/Blue/Red/Orange ones worth recommending to other people instead of the White one?
By TrapsAndDews
They should work just as well if not better. The white ones seem to be the most popular, so when they go in stock, they get sold out, and you have to wait for them to come back in stock.
Nikson liked this
By Panman
I have been using the blue/white ones for a couple of months and the plants are doing well. I haven't noticed any drop in color or vigor.
Nikson liked this
By za419
I believe the white/blue lights should be good. Blue light is very high energy for plants anyway... And I'm sure the color of "bluish white" won't be too generally distracting (red/blue can be pretty annoying to look at for some people...)
Nikson liked this
By Panman
It is funny, my sight corrects for the blue/white lights but if I try to take a picture, the camera needs to have the white balance adjusted. I would prefer plain white, but the blue/white are not a problem.
By za419
Yeah, it's weird how good eyes and brains are at compensating for unusual lighting. Really it's a miracle we can make sense of this universe at all..

White balancing is neat though. I've had fun manually controlling my camera's white balance, and it's weird to see all the different colors that are just "white" when you look at them. I'd imagine the same would happen with pretty much any light that's mostly white - your brain says "eh, close enough" and just recolors everything to make it white.
By za419
Yeah - They get exhausted and when you look away your visual systems misinterpret "lack of red" as "green".

In fairness, eyes are actually part of the brain by strictly scientific standards, so I stand by my oversimplification :D
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!