FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Last September, I sowed a handful of seeds from my grab-bag collection. I have a little bit of everything in this pot: large traps, all-red, all-green. They're growing well; the springtails in the pot have a lot to do with that (just the right size for the seedlings to eat). I also mist them with diluted MaxSea every 3-4 weeks.
Seedlings - 1.jpg
Seedlings - 1.jpg (916.19 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Seedlings - 2.jpg
Seedlings - 2.jpg (523.7 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Seedlings - 3.jpg
Seedlings - 3.jpg (384.08 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Seedlings - 4.jpg
Seedlings - 4.jpg (393.5 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Seedlings - 5.jpg
Seedlings - 5.jpg (381.47 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Seedlings - 6.jpg
Seedlings - 6.jpg (453.03 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
By MikeB
thepitchergrower wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:54 am Curious, what is your "grab-bag collection"? I would love to see some pics.
It's seeds from last summer:
Harvested late June through early July 2021. The parents include All Green, Clumping, Colorado Giant, DC XL, Fine Tooth x Red, Holland Red, Petite Dragon x Petite Dragon, Red Dragon, Yellow, and assorted typicals. I put all of the seeds in one container, so I can't source them from a particular cultivar. Also, Mother Nature did the pollination, so there is no telling what the seedlings will look like (a surprise in every bag!).
They definitely lived up to that description. :D I'll post some pics of the parents after they wake up from dormancy. They're starting to do that now, but there isn't much to see at the moment. It took me 2 hours yesterday just to remove the dead leaves from all of my flytrap pots.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
These are so cool. I like seeing differences in genetics early on, like how some are red/pink while a few are light green. This could also be a good way to search for any potential cultivars.

I wish my conditions would allow for nature pollinated seeds from my plants, but all the typicals I have are mostly sterile. Besides it gets so hot here that the stress on my plants would probably not lead to good seed regardless.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!