FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
If anyone is growing non-typical Dionaea and they send up a flower stalk and you decide to snip it off, I'd be grateful if you would send it to me. I'm planning on using them for tissue culture. I'd pay for shipping and I'd pay you back in plants eventually or a trade of your choice for what I can offer now.

The best length for the flower stalk would be between 2 and 3 inches.

Thanks!
By Anrich
Ahoy! I have a green dragon which is in dormancy at the moment, but it has two flower stalks! It took me forever to get one plant to create two stalks at once. It is grown in a completely clinical environment and only received artificial nutrients. So even through dormancy it still has the energy to develop two stalks.
So, if you are willing to wait for at least two weeks , then you can have one.
I guarantee that this plant is completely free of any spores or pathogens which will hinder the process of tissue culture.
I was my original plan to cultivate this plant for tissue cultivation so it is quite the perfect candidate.
By Adam
Anrich,

I like the way you optimize the growth of your plants. Perhaps you'd want to post the care you give to your plants on a weekly and daily basis?

I'm really curious!

Adam
By Anrich
thanks!! I really appreciate the compliment!!
Then I shall post on a weekly basis about specific treatment for specific plants!
Thanks again!!
By Anrich
Ahoy!!
I shall let you know as soon as the stalk is at it's peak of strength, just to ensure it arrives in the best state possible.
It is a pleasure to help a fellow dionaea fanatic!!!!
By Eric
Hey Matt!

I don't have any flower stalks right now but when my akai ryu and dente make flowers in the spring I'll try my best to send the flower stalks to you.

~Eric
By Carl
Are flower stalks covered under the CITES rules??? It’s not a plant which is covered and it’s not a seed which you can ship without issues. If flowers are classed the same as seeds this would be a great way to trade internationally!!!
By linton
All parts of any plant and / or animal listed on the CITES database are controlled. Fortunately for us, I just did a search on Dionaea muscipula and venus fly trap and the search returned the following results.

Order : NEPENTHALES
Family : DROSERACEAE
Genus : Dionaea
Taxon : Dionaea muscipula Soland ex Ellis Comment on this entry

Legislation Details :
CITES Appendix Country Date listed Notes
II 13/09/07 All parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
d) fruits and parts and derivatives thereof of artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla.

II 11/06/92 Designates all parts and derivatives, except: a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia); and b) tissue cultures and flasked seedling cultures.

For Lily - C.I.T.E.S. = Convention (on) International Trade (in) Endangered Species is an international agreement between governments, drafted as a result of a resolution adopted in 1973 at a meeting of members of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival and it accords varying degrees of protection to more than 33,000 species of animals and plants.
By lemonlily
Thanks Linton, I was about to ask that. I was like, who is Lily? Lily me??? And then figured "yes me."
By Adam
The question here is: Does artificially propagated plants include those that were leaf pullings?

By the way that this is stated, you could also transport a seedling in a sterile container...

correct me if I'm wrong, folks.
By sipecsus
Hey matt my plants look like normal flytraps but I have alot of flower stalks would u want a couple???
Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!