FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I'm wondering what accelerates and decelerates drosera seedling growth. I compared my d. capensis seedlings to my cousin's (both of which came from the same packet and were planted roughly the same time).* His were way larger then mine, however, mine were receiving more light.

I have a few theories:
1. Maybe mine are getting too much light.
2. Maybe mine were exposed to more heat.

*Note: He's growing in peat/perlite and I'm growing in the same except with a sphagnum top dressing. (don't know if this makes a difference)
By thepitchergrower
Sphagnum naturally has less nutrients compared to peat. Thats why it's better for keeping less algae. The little bit more of nutrients causes CPs to grow a bit faster. I suspect that is the reason.
By Huntsmanshorn
The difference could be as simple as your cousin having more springtails in the soil (or fungus gnats flying around in the air) thus allowing his seedlings access to a food source your plants don't have or don't have as much of.
By ChefDean
Plus, if I remember correctly, you don't live together, but are around three miles apart. That means you both have different growing environments as well.
Yours might be getting more light, but his may be 7 degrees warmer. Yours are on sphagnum, which moves water better, but peat holds water better.
All the little factors that people are suggesting may be insignificant by themselves, but, together, they add up.
Don't worry, it's not a race, as long as they're growing.
By TrapsAndDews
There's something weird with my cape seedlings. They grow a leaf and another leaf dies at the same time. So they don't grow much but repeat the cycle. Also, my surviving spatulata seedlings are only the ones that I fed. The rest are almost dead. I thought that they don't need to be fed in order to survive. Can any tell me what could be causing this?
By thepitchergrower
When leaves die on seedling it's usually because they were fed too much food, or they are just old leaves. What are you feeding them??? Fish food? Bugs? Maxsea?
By Ewreck
How come you don’t feed them max sea? You don’t have to worry too much about algae with maxsea. As long as the leaves have dew they can be fed. Use a blunt tip oil/glue medicine dropper thing. Around a 25 gauge or so works good.
By thepitchergrower
TrapsAndDews wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:30 pm There's only one problem, I don't have any. I was gonna request some with my last request, but I forgot.
:shock:
You should be able to request some in a few days. (1 request per month)
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!