FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Yster3+
Hi all.

This morning I was watering my plants and noticed a small white, round, hairy insect that could be a pest on my nep. It sat on the top of the leave but more to the inner side so when I tried to pick it off with a tweezers it ran back to the centre of the plant and from there on I couldn't see it anymore. There is some white fluff on the inner, upper leaf and while reading all the posts in this group I'm convinced it's either mealy bugs or aphids but I'm not to sure.

Should I be concerned? Another thing is that being from South Africa, Western Cape it's tough finding most of the products listed in the groups. Could anyone help maybe with what I could use to treat my plants and how to treat them if the problem gets bigger. I would rather give a light spray now with a acceptable chemical than waiting for damage to appear. Please help.
By Panman
If it moved quickly, it was likely a white aphid. Regardless, you do need to treat it. If there are only a few, you can try dabbing them with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol.
By Yster3+
Will do Panman thanks. I have alcohol swobs that I can use. Should I wipe the entire leaf or just the white marks?
By Dragonslayer126
Panman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:08 pm If it moved quickly, it was likely a white aphid. Regardless, you do need to treat it. If there are only a few, you can try dabbing them with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol.
Yesterday the same thing happened with me. I saw one on my new plant from lowes. It was one of those bug biting plant terrarium kits that everyone says not to buy. The Lowes I got it from was far away and the kit came with like 4 plants instead of 2. I saw a small white insect that moved quickly. And I got the terrarium kit yesterday. I have Garden safe insect killer I sprayed it with. It only lasts 24h and is a contact spray. How long should I spray it? Until I can stop and put it with the rest of my plants?
By Supercazzola
you know, photos really help. If it was cotton-like, it may have been a mealy bug.
I like to use bayer 3 in 1 (sometimes now marketed as "BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Insect")

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!