FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Hollywood
Hello all,

I am a fairly new Venus flytrap parent and I bought my flytraps at Walmart. I started with one which is now really big and flowered already and I bought it last August I think. I have it in my kitchen on the counter where I also have my aerogarden so it gets lots or light from that. I had no idea what to do so I have maintained watering it with my bottled drinking water which it seems to really love. Recently I bought 1 more fairly healthy plant from Walmart and 4 almost dead plants from a different Walmart on clearance. It appeared as if the plants had frozen and I took all of them that had any foliage that didn’t appear as if it froze. I pruned all the frozen dead foliage off all of them and they appear to be alive still. I’ve had them a couple of weeks and they are bouncing back. Now, to my monster Venus, the plant I’ve had several months already flowered and then it grew really big really fast. Recently I noticed this odd hairy sticky wired stuff growing in the container so I just got done removing the stuff as it was growing from towards the middle of my plant and appeared to be wrapping itself around leaves and stuff. I don’t know what it is and I’ve never seen anything like it before. I was worried it would kill my prize plant. I’ll upload pics of both. I love my flytraps and I am excited about how well my Walmart Venus is thriving.
By Hollywood
Here are the photos of my Walmart baby! I love this plant
Attachments:
My Venus, not sure which species
My Venus, not sure which species
C9E56C63-4C1B-4B9E-A0D5-C5E6DA478866.jpeg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3571 times
222F54C5-8432-4FF6-A5A9-A808884AEE28.jpeg
222F54C5-8432-4FF6-A5A9-A808884AEE28.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 3571 times
DF4D0134-C000-4DE1-AE23-F65F17EC1171.jpeg
DF4D0134-C000-4DE1-AE23-F65F17EC1171.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 3571 times
The weird plant growing in with my Venus
The weird plant growing in with my Venus
4B6842B5-13D9-4CEE-8994-40DB7E159D6D.jpeg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 3571 times
By Dragonslayer126
Hollywood wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:08 am Hello all,

I am a fairly new Venus flytrap parent and I bought my flytraps at Walmart. I started with one which is now really big and flowered already and I bought it last August I think. I have it in my kitchen on the counter where I also have my aerogarden so it gets lots or light from that. I had no idea what to do so I have maintained watering it with my bottled drinking water which it seems to really love. Recently I bought 1 more fairly healthy plant from Walmart and 4 almost dead plants from a different Walmart on clearance. It appeared as if the plants had frozen and I took all of them that had any foliage that didn’t appear as if it froze. I pruned all the frozen dead foliage off all of them and they appear to be alive still. I’ve had them a couple of weeks and they are bouncing back. Now, to my monster Venus, the plant I’ve had several months already flowered and then it grew really big really fast. Recently I noticed this odd hairy sticky wired stuff growing in the container so I just got done removing the stuff as it was growing from towards the middle of my plant and appeared to be wrapping itself around leaves and stuff. I don’t know what it is and I’ve never seen anything like it before. I was worried it would kill my prize plant. I’ll upload pics of both. I love my flytraps and I am excited about how well my Walmart Venus is thriving.
If that's spring water then you might want to not use it. Since it has many minerals good for humans but not good for carnivorous plants.
By Dragonslayer126
Hollywood wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:12 am Here are the photos of my Walmart baby! I love this plant
The plants look nice, but I would also reccomend reporting or atleast taking it out of the death cylinder. I'm actually surprised it flowered in there. Just shows how strong flytraps can be. There is only one species of flytrap btw. All the names you hear are cultivars of flytraps. The plant kinda looks like some type of moss.
By thepitchergrower
Just FYI, there is only one species of Venus Flytrap, Dionaea Muscipula. As for the cultivar, most of the Walmart Flytraps are referred to Dionaea Muscipula "typical". As for the other plant growing with your Flytrap, it could be Sphagnum moss. If you could get a good photo, we could identify it. The plant should be taken out of the cylinder, because flies cannot get into it.
Dragonslayer126 liked this
By Dragonslayer126
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:17 am Just FYI, there is only one species of Venus Flytrap, Dionaea Muscipula. As for the cultivar, most of the Walmart Flytraps are referred to Dionaea Muscipula "typical". As for the other plant growing with your Flytrap, it could be Sphagnum moss. If you could get a good photo, we could identify it. The plant should be taken out of the cylinder, because flies cannot get into it.
And it blocks light.

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!