FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I translated the description of DC XL from flytrap store. Here is the original description:
This is it! THE LARGEST TRAPS WE'VE EVER SEEN! Out of the thousands of flytraps we have growing here at FlytrapStore, DC XL grows the largest traps of any flytrap we've ever grown. The first traps in spring are usually the largest and can approach 2 inches in size on a fully grown DC XL flytrap. In addition to being ginormous for a Venus flytrap, DC XL is also an extraordinarily hardy grower, more than any other type we know of. DC XL is a handsome hardy monster flytrap, and we learn to love it more and more as we watch it grow over the seasons.
Here's it after I used Google translate:
Hi! The biggest water we've ever dreamed of. Of the thousands of drones we use in Flytrapstore, the DC XL takes the biggest risk. The first falls of summer are usually large: in large DCs, they are usually 2 inches. While Venus is ideal for flying saucers, the DC XL is much more powerful than any other species we know of. DC XL is a shaggy flying monster that we have come to love over the years.
By Supercazzola
Wow.

Back in the day, when we needed to translate something, we walked our butts to a library, usually uphill, searched through a card catalog, found where the books were, (if they were missing had to request a library to library loan and waited), tried our best to make sure we had the right form of the verbs, probably found someone who spoke the language, if we were lucky, faxed it to them, if not sent it in the mail to them, got the translation verified and sent back to us, and then considered ourselves lucky if it happened within a week or two.

Nowadays, folks expect tools that were developed and given to them for free, should work perfectly, instantly, on the spot, in ways they were not intended. Reminds me of an old Billy Bragg song, [youtube] https://youtu.be/NJ2QOwQdHL8[/youtube]
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote:Back in the day, when we needed to translate something, we walked our butts to a library, usually uphill,
barefoot, both ways, in the snow,
Supercazzola wrote: searched through a card catalog, found where the books were...
Fixed that for ya .
(I would have added "old timer", but I remember those days too)
By evenwind
You guys had FAX'es?
By TrapsAndDews
I just had to do it again. This time I ran a description of a venus flytrap from wikipedia through all the languages on google translate.
Here is what it sounded originally:
The Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) is a carnivorous plant native to subtropical wetlands on the East Coast of the United States in North Carolina and South Carolina. It catches its prey—chiefly insects and arachnids—with a trapping structure formed by the terminal portion of each of the plant's leaves, which is triggered by tiny hairs (called "trigger hairs" or "sensitive hairs") on their inner surfaces.

When an insect or spider crawling along the leaves contacts a hair, the trap prepares to close, snapping shut only if another contact occurs within approximately twenty seconds of the first strike. Triggers may occur with a tenth of a second of contact. The requirement of redundant triggering in this mechanism serves as a safeguard against wasting energy by trapping objects with no nutritional value, and the plant will only begin digestion after five more stimuli to ensure it has caught a live bug worthy of consumption.

Here is what it sounds like after dozens of translations:
The most common species in North Carolina and North Carolina are the short-legged turkey Dionysus. (Right or wrong)

If your hair or your clothes are damaged, your hair will dry out. Under safe conditions, the first attack lasts 10-20 seconds and the last attack lasts 10-20 seconds. The system requires clean drinking water. Picture at the end of the fifth action.

:shock:

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!