FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I don't know if I did it right, I just stuck it in. The temperature reads about 72. The soil doesn't feel warm to the touch. However, I don't if this how it is all day or if it warms up later in the evening. Is there anything I could do to prevent the soil from heating up?
By TrapsAndDews
I just don't get why they are dying. Within a day of planting, they already started turning darker. I guess I'll keep waiting, and if I don't see anything within a few months, then I'll assume they're 100% dead. Then I'll wait until next year to try again.
By TrapsAndDews
Next time I try growing pygmies, I'm gonna use multiple methods. I just don't want to get some more gemmae because I want others to get a chance at growing them. If no one wants the gemmae, I'll take it. (The donor of the gemmae is probably reading in horror as I'm killing all the gemmae I get. :? :oops: )
By CPhunter101
TrapsAndDews wrote:(The donor of the gemmae is probably reading in horror as I'm killing all the gemmae I get. )
It's totally fine, I feel you. Sometimes plants die, and you can't really do anything about it (stress, shock, rot, etc).
TrapsAndDews wrote:Next time I try growing pygmies, I'm gonna use multiple methods.
When something dies, I usually wait a couple months before trying again. You want to reflect and think about what went wrong.
Meanwhile, you can attempt at growing other species and find out what you're comfortable growing (flytraps, sarrs, neps, utrics, tropical dews, etc).
By thepitchergrower
Sometimes things just don't work out for you. Maybe it's your conditions, your setup, your location. Keep on trying, or find something else!
By TrapsAndDews
The temperatures seemed fine in the bag and in the soil. I think they were just not moist enough, because they start turning dark within about one day. Next time I'll try Panman's method of using chopped sphagnum moss for the top of the pot.
By Adelae
I've had the most luck basically treating them like seeds - putting plastic wrap with some holes poked in it over the pot to keep the humidity up, and keeping them in the brightest spot I can manage without actual direct sun that could overheat them.
Panman liked this
By TrapsAndDews
My temperatures are fine. The soil isn't drying out. The only thing I can think of that would cause the gemmae to die would be something to do with the light. I flipped over one of the gemmae and it had way more green on the other side. Is it possible I'm giving them too much light? :?

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!