FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I'm asking this because I'm going to try getting a cobra lily very soon. By researching their care they need cool roots and be in a bog like environment. My plan so far is placing frozen distilled ice cubes on the top media so it would melt down into the media, and use the tray method so that the plant will sit in cold distilled water. I'll be flushing the water once a day with a turkey baster so the water can be circulated. If I did this, would there be a possibility that there's too much water and root rot could develop? I kinda doubt it because cobra lilies are always in still or moving water in their natural environment, but I thought this would be an interesting question to ask. If it's possible, I can come up with a better method to water them and to keep their roots cool.
By Panman
To start with, what is the environment that you are trying to grow it in? While they do grow in running water, that is very different than standing water. They can develop root and rhizome rot if left standing in warm, stagnant water.
By septembersapphire21
Panman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:35 pm To start with, what is the environment that you are trying to grow it in? While they do grow in running water, that is very different than standing water. They can develop root and rhizome rot if left standing in warm, stagnant water.
It'll be grown outdoors at a spot in my backyard were ik it'll be getting morning light only. I plan on growing it outdoors from mid spring to when it's ready to go dormant.
By septembersapphire21
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:47 pm You could just water them every day?
I can do that as well. I'm looking to see if my first watering idea could cause root rot and if it does, that's my next plan. To just water it every day and place distilled ice cubes on the top media so it can melt in the pot.
By septembersapphire21
Panman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm You don't say where you are located. That will make a difference in how you need to grow it.
Oof, I thought my profile would show the state and country I live. I'm in Pennsylvania, growing zone 6B. I live on the southeast side, about an hour from both Philly and Harrisburg. Summers are hot, sometimes dry, especially in July, winters is always cold, rn its been under 35 degrees with snow to go with it lol. Springs and fall is average, but it does take a while for spring to warm up. By May, it stays around 50 to high 70s, sometimes low 80s.
By septembersapphire21
Panman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:45 am In the summer, what do your nights get down to?
It can depend on the location. At night it ranges from 50s - 60s to low - mid 70s. Where I'm from it's usually around 60s to mid 70s
By septembersapphire21
Panman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:58 pm You shouldn't have to do anything special as long as it is getting a good drop in temperature nightly.
It usually does and ok! Thank u!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!