FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By WestCoastGirl
Hello

Eventually I ordered my plants and got them delivered. And I went a bit weak when ordering and a pot of young Cephalotus went into the basket.
I got me:
D. spatulata
D. capensis (red form)
D. aliciae
D. adelae

These plants are for being planted in what is originally a fish tank, it will be my version of the tray method.

Plants were well packed by Hampshire Carnivorous Plant (south coast of England, so much milder climate than where I live). I guess all plants are from unheated greenhouses. The pots were cool too touch and I don't think it is down to the 2 days in the lorry/depot during transit.
3 of the pots doesn't look to well, the Capensis as several broken leaves, the Aliciae seems flattened (2 plants close together), the Spatulata seems to have some dried leaves? Sorry, all pictures with a mobile. I can try to see whether I have more success with my pocket camera.

Plants are unpacked and currently sitting in a plastic box with a bit of water in the bottom, lid on, in my living room. Since yesterday.
I actually don't know how warm or cold it will be in the fish tank, somehow I managed not to get me a thermometer yet and I don't have a hygrometer either.

I have empty pots here, I have peat moss (or is it moss peat?), Coarse sand, sand (the one you use for sand pits children play in), dried Spaghnum and not quite dead Spagnum (the stuff used for hanging basket, has lots of green in it).
Pots in 3 different sizes, see picture. The 2 bigger ones have the same diameter, but one is deeper than the other.
Attachments:
D.adelea,high pot - other pot in background
D.adelea,high pot - other pot in background
IMG20220128134247_s.jpg (229.14 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
small pot (?) for D. spatulata?
small pot (?) for D. spatulata?
IMG20220128134225_s.jpg (193.75 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
both available diameters
both available diameters
IMG20220128134036_s.jpg (487.08 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
2 flatten D. aliciae
2 flatten D. aliciae
IMG20220128080449_s.jpg (215.31 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
disheveled D. capensis 'red'
disheveled D. capensis 'red'
IMG20220128080209_s.jpg (402.03 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
D. adalae, best looking sundew of the bunch
D. adalae, best looking sundew of the bunch
IMG20220127162048_s.jpg (248.42 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Cephalotus, very young plant(s ?)
Cephalotus, very young plant(s ?)
IMG20220127161729_s.jpg (263.13 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
what's on with this D. spatulata?
what's on with this D. spatulata?
IMG20220127161455_s.jpg (251.71 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
By Dragonslayer126
WestCoastGirl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:10 pm Hello

Eventually I ordered my plants and got them delivered. And I went a bit weak when ordering and a pot of young Cephalotus went into the basket.
I got me:
D. spatulata
D. capensis (red form)
D. aliciae
D. adelae

These plants are for being planted in what is originally a fish tank, it will be my version of the tray method.

Plants were well packed by Hampshire Carnivorous Plant (south coast of England, so much milder climate than where I live). I guess all plants are from unheated greenhouses. The pots were cool too touch and I don't think it is down to the 2 days in the lorry/depot during transit.
3 of the pots doesn't look to well, the Capensis as several broken leaves, the Aliciae seems flattened (2 plants close together), the Spatulata seems to have some dried leaves? Sorry, all pictures with a mobile. I can try to see whether I have more success with my pocket camera.

Plants are unpacked and currently sitting in a plastic box with a bit of water in the bottom, lid on, in my living room. Since yesterday.
I actually don't know how warm or cold it will be in the fish tank, somehow I managed not to get me a thermometer yet and I don't have a hygrometer either.

I have empty pots here, I have peat moss (or is it moss peat?), Coarse sand, sand (the one you use for sand pits children play in), dried Spaghnum and not quite dead Spagnum (the stuff used for hanging basket, has lots of green in it).
Pots in 3 different sizes, see picture. The 2 bigger ones have the same diameter, but one is deeper than the other.
Only repot them if they are in the wrong potting mix. It will send then into shock which can be very bad for the plants. Please don't rep out them. Only repot every couple years.
Savethetrees4life liked this
By NightRaider
I'll be honest, I repot new arrivals pretty regularly for pretty arbitrary reasons, and I haven't had any issues doing so to cause me to question the practice. I'd probably wait on the ceph personally though as they're more sensitive to repotting, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it on already visibly stressed plants in general, but if you had to then it shouldn't be a death sentence or anything for those particular drosera, at least. IMO, sellers would normally send those drosera bare-root anyway meaning they don't get too fussed over a repot, and my experience reflects that.
By WestCoastGirl
Other resellers sent bareroot, beside the dwarf drosera. But this nursery is really big (as per own webpage the biggest for carnivorous plants in UK) and I think they just can't bother to clean out all the little plants before sending them.

Beside tall plants all is sent readily potted from this nursery, they deal with all kinds of Carnivorous, not only Sundew. Would love to visit them, but they are 600miles away and they advertised Open Weekends are clashing with my work schedule until August.

@Carnies: the pots will be in substrat (coarse sand covered with bark and Spaghnum moss), so I will not see the roots. It's not a pure plant display but a vivarium.
I'm only worried because I read so often that the roots are really going deep and the pots are seem quite small. On the other hand, the pots having holes in the bottom and the roots would be able to grow further down as there will be more substrat underneath. Though this would mean damage to the roots when it is repotting time, next year (?).

Actually I don't know why I'm bothering this much, as I also just could plant them out of the pot, into the substrate. Probably because I can't see an obvious stem/stalk as with other potplants, I'm not quite sure how to handle these plants. The moos around some of them is not helping either, I would like to keep the moss as long it is not hindering the plant.
One reason for the pot is that I would be able to set them easily in different heights relative to the waterlevel.
By WestCoastGirl
That's what I have done now. The Spatulata had a very long root, already folded in the pot.
The 4 Drosera were repottet with the old substrate around it. They seems to have used coarse sand and peat moos, the new substrat around is peat moss and playpit sand (was running out of coarse sand as I was using it as drainage layer for the tank).

The CF is in a bigger pot, but wasn't re-pottet :?: Bigger pot, filled with artifical Spaghnum and the smaller pot into it. Now the CF is on the same top level as the other plants, but the artificial Spaghnum is hopefully getting enough moisture to the "inner" pot.

Now the plants have peace and will not be touched for a long time. If they get hungry, some Springtails also moved in and I have the suspicion that Fungus Gnats laid eggs in the watered backwall, so there is more food available.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!