FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By pandaking666
if I cross a d fillidormis (Florida giant) with another of the same type. what would it be classified as? would it be d filiformis Florida giants self or will it be d filiformis Florida giant x florida giant?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Shadowtski
pandaking666 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:10 am if I cross a d fillidormis (Florida giant) with another of the same type. what would it be classified as? would it be d filiformis Florida giants self or will it be d filiformis Florida giant x florida giant?

" x Self " means the plant was pollinated by itself.
"Florida Giant" x "Florida Giant" means your plant was pollinated from a different plant of the same type.

Just my 02¢ worth.
By Panman
When talking about different plants, that is different genetically. If you have two plants that were grown from the same leaf cutting, they would b x self.
By pandaking666
Panman wrote:When talking about different plants, that is different genetically. If you have two plants that were grown from the same leaf cutting, they would b x self.
I cannot confirm if they are genetically diffrent or not, I did get them from the same person so there's a chance they are not. Would it be better to self pollinate them or cross them with each other?.

By thepitchergrower
If 'FL Giant' is a cultivar, both plants MUST be the same clone. Or not, it is incorrect to sell it as FL giant when it is genetically different from the cultivar. A cultivar cannot be propagated from seeds. If you do propagate a cultivar from seeds, it won't be the same as the cultivar. So, you probably have Fl Giant x self.
By pandaking666
thepitchergrower wrote:If 'FL Giant' is a cultivar, both plants MUST be the same clone. Or not, it is incorrect to sell it as FL giant when it is genetically different from the cultivar. A cultivar cannot be propagated from seeds. If you do propagate a cultivar from seeds, it won't be the same as the cultivar. So, you probably have Fl Giant x self.

i don't have them yet the flower stalks are growing. im just planning to let the stalks germinate and give seed so i can give it to the seed bank since it has given me so much seed.
By Nepenthes0260
Firstly, "Florida Giant" isn't a cultivar, just a particular strain of threadleaf dew. There are multiple (albeit virtually identical) clones of this strain going around all labeled as "Florida Giant", since it seemingly self-pollinates with ease. Secondly, when I first started selling this one I was incorrectly calling it D. filiformis "Florida Giant". "Florida Giant" is virtually identical to the D. tracyi that are abundant in the Southeastern US, and the "Florida Giant" plants in cultivation are certainly not pure filiformis. It is possible that it's a hybrid between filiformis and tracyi (making it a xcalifornica), which are two very closely related, compatible species. Since "Florida Giant" seems to refer to a whole strain/swarm instead of a specific clone or cultivar, I would just label seed that results from selfing or cross-pollination with other "Florida Giant" plants as Drosera "Florida Giant".
By pandaking666
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Firstly, "Florida Giant" isn't a cultivar, just a particular strain of threadleaf dew. There are multiple (albeit virtually identical) clones of this strain going around all labeled as "Florida Giant", since it seemingly self-pollinates with ease. Secondly, when I first started selling this one I was incorrectly calling it D. filiformis "Florida Giant". "Florida Giant" is virtually identical to the D. tracyi that are abundant in the Southeastern US, and the "Florida Giant" plants in cultivation are certainly not pure filiformis. It is possible that it's a hybrid between filiformis and tracyi (making it a xcalifornica), which are two very closely related, compatible species. Since "Florida Giant" seems to refer to a whole strain/swarm instead of a specific clone or cultivar, I would just label seed that results from selfing or cross-pollination with other "Florida Giant" plants as Drosera "Florida Giant".
what will it be if i self pollinate the flowers?
By Nepenthes0260
pandaking666 wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Firstly, "Florida Giant" isn't a cultivar, just a particular strain of threadleaf dew. There are multiple (albeit virtually identical) clones of this strain going around all labeled as "Florida Giant", since it seemingly self-pollinates with ease. Secondly, when I first started selling this one I was incorrectly calling it D. filiformis "Florida Giant". "Florida Giant" is virtually identical to the D. tracyi that are abundant in the Southeastern US, and the "Florida Giant" plants in cultivation are certainly not pure filiformis. It is possible that it's a hybrid between filiformis and tracyi (making it a xcalifornica), which are two very closely related, compatible species. Since "Florida Giant" seems to refer to a whole strain/swarm instead of a specific clone or cultivar, I would just label seed that results from selfing or cross-pollination with other "Florida Giant" plants as Drosera "Florida Giant".
what will it be if i self pollinate the flowers?
I'd say just Drosera "Florida Giant".
By Nepenthes0260
Panman wrote:Isn't there a debate as to whether tracyii is a separate species or just a variety of filiformis?
Yes, although I don't really know enough details to have an educated opinion on the matter. :lol:

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!