FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
Idk, I left my Capes outdoors, while it was pouring. Only drawback is that the water trays over filled.
By thepitchergrower
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm Idk, I left my Capes outdoors, while it was pouring. Only drawback is that the water trays over filled.
Wait, you guys are expecting rain??? No rain at all here in Fremont. :o
By Panman
The plants will be fine. They may get muddy from the media splashing on them. The only thing to worry about would be if the pots got flooded and washed the soil away. I grow all of my plants outside from March through October in Georgia and they withstand even the strongest storm.
By pandaking666
i take mine out of the tray for the duration of the rain and put them back in after it stops
By Panman
I just wait until the rain is done and then dump the trays. They can sit in deep water for a couple of days at least without any problem. One of the benefits of the plants being in the rain is that it will flush any built up minerals out of the soil.
thepitchergrower liked this
By ChefDean
Carnies wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:23 pm Will sundews be fine in rain? Some of my Capes are outdoors and we are expecting rain. Thank you!
No! Pull them inside or cover them pronto! They're plants! They can't handle rain! Not even a drop! No plant in the history of ever has ever survived being rained on.

Disclaimer: Seriously? The above was all sarcasm. Of course sundews can handle rain, how would they have survived for millennia without us otherwise?
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Panman
Now, now, now, Dean. While I agree entirely with you (naturally), there is an aspect to consider. While these plants do grow in the wild, endure all types of weathers and conditions, in nature it doesn't matter if the plants look like crap or even if one or two die because of the conditions. In my private collection, I would be traumatized if I lost a particular cultivar because of something that I could have prevented.

So, yes, they will be fine in the rain. They may look like crap for a little while if they endure very severe weather, but it is not likely to kill it.
ChefDean, Nepenthes0260 liked this
By thepitchergrower
Seeing that Carnies is selling his plants, I don't think he'd want them to look like crap. Its rather difficult to sell a plant that looks like crap.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:59 pm Now, now, now, Dean. While I agree entirely with you (naturally), there is an aspect to consider.
Yes, yes, yes, you're correct. It was an interesting day at work this morning, and it looks like I may have not given myself enough time to decompress before posting.
Panman liked this
By thepitchergrower
I wonder what an interesting day at work looks like for a private chef. Burning the Crème brûlée?
By pandaking666
thepitchergrower wrote:I wonder what an interesting day at work looks like for a private chef. Burning the Crème brûlée?
all i can think of is gordon ramsey yelling about the duck sauce
By thepitchergrower
pandaking666 wrote:
thepitchergrower wrote:I wonder what an interesting day at work looks like for a private chef. Burning the Crème brûlée?
all i can think of is gordon ramsey yelling about the duck sauce
Interesting. I wonder if the language is as colorful and vivid?
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!