FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
What does Drosera capillaris
seed from Boiling Springs,NC look like under a Microscope? I look all over and can find only other types of what D.capillaris seeds look like but can't find a specific microscopic image of seed from Boiling Springs, NC. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Perhaps someone here has a microscopic image of this specific plant?
By ChefDean
Capillaris seeds will all look similar regardless as to their origin, the same way virtually all watermelon seeds look alike. Or apple seeds. Or Magnolia Tree seeds. Or carrot seeds. Or zucchini seeds. However, seeing as how those others are bigger and have more carbohydrates stored in them, there will be bigger and more noticeable differences in size and shape, but not differences indicative of a regional variation. Capillaris seeds will all pretty much look like a shriveled football 1/4 to 1/3 of a mm long. There may be some subtle differences, but nothing that anyone has gone through the trouble to find, much less document as being specific to a certain area.
You just have to trust the source.
However, if you have a microscope, I can send you a few typical capillaris and a few capillaris (Bertioga, Brazil) with your next request and you can try to see if you can spot any measurable differences.
Jonathan_ liked this
By Jonathan_
So I am guessing that these are NOT D.capillaris from Boiling Springs,NC seeds then? I got these last year. My friend that I did a group order with looked at the seeds under a Microscope and he said they don't look like Capillaris seeds. Here is what came from the seeds.
https://ibb.co/Jk9NYxw
Attachments:
Seed 2.jpg
Seed 2.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Seed1.jpg
Seed1.jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
By ChefDean
Those look more like capensis, but sow them anyway to see what grows.
This is a pic from ICPS site, blown up, of capillaris "Pasco Co. FL"
Screenshot_20220125-185747_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-185747_Chrome.jpg (373.79 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
And the link you provided shows a pic of what I believe looks like a sessilifolia, not capillaris.
Jonathan_ liked this
By ChefDean
Don't know what to tell you then, except go to this site
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/about ... SeedImages
and look around. I saw a couple seeds that could be close to what you've got, but not the capillaris. Sessilifolia seeds looks even rounder, but there are quite a few seeds that look similar to what you posted.
Jonathan_ liked this
By Aquis31
The little I know about Capillaris seeds is that they tend to be a little larger than typical sundew seeds, and as Chef Dean said, they are rounded, but I have never had that cultivar of Capillaris you are looking for, it may be that the seeds are a little different, the best way to find out is for you to plant them and show us in a few months, I'll be looking forward to that.
By Jonathan_
Aquis31 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 pm The little I know about Capillaris seeds is that they tend to be a little larger than typical sundew seeds, and as Chef Dean said, they are rounded, but I have never had that cultivar of Capillaris you are looking for, it may be that the seeds are a little different, the best way to find out is for you to plant them and show us in a few months, I'll be looking forward to that.
This is what they turned out to be like.
https://ibb.co/Jk9NYxw
By ChefDean
Best thing to do now would be to wait on that flower stalk and get a good pic of a completely open flower. It could be that it is a short arm variety, but the capis I've seen usually only have the tentacles on the paddles, not going down the petiole like yours. There is a pic of my capillaris (Bertioga, Brazil) on this thread. post391763.html#p391763
Not a great pic, but you can see that it is a medium arm, and the tentacles don't grow beyond the paddles, which is one thing that makes me think this may not be a capi. That the seeds don't look like capi seeds is another. looking at the seed pic and plant pic you posted, they both look more like admirabilis.
However, get a pic of a fully opened flower, and we may be able to get a better idea as to what it may be.
Jonathan_ liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!