FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
I have a few questions on selling plants.
1. If I am only selling infrequently, and not making much, do I have to include sales tax?
2. Should I collect payments before I send plant material?

I know the answers may vary from person to person, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts! :?
By Panman
1. As far as collecting sales tax, that would depend on the laws of your state. Whether or not most people obey those laws is a different issue. I know that in my state, online sales to an out of state customer do not require sales tax.

2. You should collect payment beforehand. That is standard practice.
By Savethetrees4life
Ya it varies state to state so read your states online tax expectations it’s probably based on total taxable sales yearly. I’d recommend it the IRS is ruthless they run in and shoot everybody in the *neighbors house.
thepitchergrower liked this
By thepitchergrower
With some luck I will have at least $20 for trades. It's not much, probably because I have been underpricing most of my stock. And my free shipping on orders $25+.
By ChefDean
Another thing to consider is the IRS has changed the rules. It used to be that you were allowed $20,000 in sales annually before you were required to pay federal tax, now it's $600 annually. The payment platforms (PayPal, Venmo, Etsy, etc.) are required to report that now. That does not apply if you're sending the money as a gift or sending to family, only if it's for goods and/or services.
You could sell them, specifying that the buyer use the friends and family option, and that circumvents the tax for a hobbyist. But many buyers hesitate to do that because it's much more difficult to get a refund if the sale gets disputed.
Pros and cons.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By TrapsAndDews
Sometimes very good pictures of your plants can help "lure" people in. At least they do for me. (but I have to resist it) :)
By Ewreck
How are you selling your plants? Instagram or something?
By Nepenthes0260
If you're just selling a few extras I don't think sales tax is necessary, even if you do live in a state that requires it. Before covid I used to sell at Reptile Expos and such and acquired a vendors permit so did charge sales tax just to be safe, although I was selling a good amount of plants and still nobody ever asked me if I had a vendors license, so I think it would have been fine without. Like Dean said there's a new $600 thing, so make sure your customers know to send payment via F&F, NOT G&S, and if they do send G&S the combined total for the year needs to stay under $600.
thepitchergrower liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!