FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

Still going through my first dormancy, and somehow my VFTs and Sarracenia are still alive despite freezing that one time! I just had a few questions I was wondering about when it comes to watering these plants during dormancy.

I know I just have to keep them kind of moist and not ultra wet or damp so they don't rot or get moldy, but what's generally the best way to get to this level?

When top watering, I've heard some people say don't let the water touch the rhizome, is that important? Is the VFT prone to rotting if the rhizome gets wet? Also, if top watering, do you just do the regular watering method of pouring water in until it starts coming out the holes in the bottom?

I was just thinking about tray watering since it seems a lot easier. I was planning on just putting them in a tray of water for a day then just taking them out when the pot got heavy.
By TrapsAndDews
I use trays, but my strays aren't very deep. Every 1-2 weeks (whenever the soil feels barely moist, JUST NOT COMPLETELY DRY!) I pour some water in the trays. I haven't had any problems so far.
Nikson, ChefDean liked this
By steve booth
I leave mine out all year round, but without trays or saucers under them. Raining or being wet for a while in winter, rarely hurts them, imagine what would happen in the wild if it rained whilst being cold. The answer is normally very little, if you have good ventilation and they are not submerged by a third to two-thirds in water they will be OK.
Cheers
Steve
Nikson liked this
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!