FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I was looking around trying to figure out places I could put my plants, and I was wondering if you could put plants under your bed with grow lights? :idea: Anyone here ever done it? :?
By IoanAdam
As a user suggested some time ago, you can get some kind of a bakery rack and put your plants there. Maybe you can find one with a larger space between the shelves.
By Ewreck
I seen a video on either Reddit or instagram of someone doing this
By ChefDean
Unless you have some sort of loft bed, the dad part of me is just cringing at this idea.
Fire hazard. On a rack or other grow space, the light usually has either a reflective barrier overhead or airspace that would redirect heat (not a huge issue with LED's) or a stray, unexpected spark. If the unit fails (not a bulb usually, but the unit), it is often accompanied by a spark of something arcing or shorting. Under a bed, there is very little room for a spark to go before it hits something flammable; the bed you're sleeping on or the carpet underneath. Wood or vinyl flooring probably wouldn't ignite unless the failure resulted in a prolonged cascade of sparks, but still could.
There are a couple other issues that come to mind, but they're minor in comparison.
My suggestion would be to be reasonable and limit your collection to the space available. This doesn't always seem to happen as I'm sure most of us scramble to find homes for our tropical and subtropical plants over winter, myself included, but I usually manage.
I'm not criticizing, it's just the dad part of my brain saying that this might not be a good idea if this is a bed with a close to normal separation between floor and box spring/mattress.
IoanAdam, Savethetrees4life, evenwind and 2 others liked this
By Savethetrees4life
Chef is definitely right. I’m not a father and I keep a fire extinguisher near my plant setup due to the additional heat produced by my LEDs and the electric risks possible which adds about 6 degrees Fahrenheit to the area measured 2ft above my actual grow setup.
Reassess the number of plants you have.
Also how do I quote Chefsdeans post and implement into my response?
I tried and can’t seem to make it work.
By ChefDean
Savethetrees4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:56 pmAlso how do I quote Chefsdeans post and implement into my response?
I tried and can’t seem to make it work.
For me, on my mobile, I click here on the post I want to quote...
20220123_101253.jpg
20220123_101253.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
Then here...
20220123_101317.jpg
20220123_101317.jpg (193.33 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
Then I can quote the post. You can choose to quote in full or edit some out.
On my laptop, I have to click reply, then scroll down to the window of previous replies, then scroll through those to the post I want to quote, and click this...
20220123_101737.jpg
20220123_101737.jpg (140.77 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
Then I can edit what I want to quote from there.
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:20 pm Unless you have some sort of loft bed, the dad part of me is just cringing at this idea.
Fire hazard. On a rack or other grow space, the light usually has either a reflective barrier overhead or airspace that would redirect heat (not a huge issue with LED's) or a stray, unexpected spark. If the unit fails (not a bulb usually, but the unit), it is often accompanied by a spark of something arcing or shorting. Under a bed, there is very little room for a spark to go before it hits something flammable; the bed you're sleeping on or the carpet underneath.
My bed is the top part of a bunk bed, so there is a lot of room from the floor to the mattress. I also keep the lights close to the edge of the bed, so the heat shouldn't get trapped. The LED drivers aren't under the bed.
ChefDean wrote:My suggestion would be to be reasonable and limit your collection to the space available.
It's just so hard to resist... I think I'll try to expand my collection by getting plants that grow outside. And I'll probably only keep a couple dews from each of my species and varieties. (after all, what am I gonna do with a hundred capes)
By TrapsAndDews
Savethetrees4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:56 pm Chef is definitely right. I’m not a father and I keep a fire extinguisher near my plant setup due to the additional heat produced by my LEDs and the electric risks possible which adds about 6 degrees Fahrenheit to the area measured 2ft above my actual grow setup.
I don't have room for a fire extinguisher. :?
By Savethetrees4life
Thanks on the quote info. I have an ipad and it is slightly different. So thank you. 👍
This fire extinguisher was 20$, lasts 10yrs, and can be used for self defense in several ways.
Also you can mount it on the wall it comes with the bracket to do so.
https://www.fireengineering.com/leaders ... tion/#gref
Attachments:
Lighter used for size comparison
Lighter used for size comparison
849F2B8A-2653-4033-8205-8A0DD80FB705.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 7182 times
By ChefDean
Savethetrees4life wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:56 pmI keep a fire extinguisher near my plant setup due to the additional heat produced by my LEDs and the electric risks possible which adds about 6 degrees Fahrenheit to the area measured 2ft above my actual grow setup.
Awesome!
Savethetrees4life wrote:This fire extinguisher was 20$, lasts 10yrs, and can be used for self defense in several ways.
Also you can mount it on the wall it comes with the bracket to do so.
https://www.fireengineering.com/leaders ... tion/#gref
Very nice!
TrapsAndDews wrote:I don't have room for a fire extinguisher. :?
Yes you do.
Off the track of the original thread, but I recommend everyone have at least one, 5 lb ABC (flammable liquids, flammable solids, and electrical) fire extinguisher in your home, maybe even two. At least one in the kitchen and the second one, if wanted, in the garage.
I have the little 5 lb-er in the kitchen, but I was able to score one from work for the garage, a big 20 lb ABC. If I really wanted to, I could probably score a free 10 lb ABCD from my brother (he works for the airlines in Nashville), but there aren't many flammable metals (D) around the house.
Savethetrees4life liked this
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!